Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 32 - Link Semantics in Event Handlers

Dieter,

I was suggesting serializing the processing of the successive invocations
of each onMessage, not of all handler invocations. That is, onAlarms and
each of the onMessage handlers would be allowed to execute concurrently,
but only one instance of each handler would be executing at a given time.
This is not a principled position, just that I don't know of any
compelling example to justify the complexity of allowing concurrent
processing (again, of the different invocations of one and the same
handler.)

Paco

                      "Dieter Roller"
                      <ROL@de.ibm.com>         To:       "Yuzo Fujishima" <fujishima@bc.jp.nec.com>
                                               cc:       Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
                      07/07/2003 09:03         Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 32 - Link Semantics in Event Handlers
                      AM

I'm against any serialization. It introduces a restriction that is not
needed and in fact can make things just more complicated. Suppose we have
the following definition :

<eventHandlers>

 <onMessage>

</onMessage>

<onAlarm>

</onAlarm>

a message has arrived and is processed by the activity in the onMessage
event handler and the onAlarm is ready to go off. What would we do : wait
with the alarm until the message has been processed ?

I'm confident other people will find other examples where serialization
hurts...

Cheers,

dieter

Dieter Roller
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Member IBM Academy of Technology
Phone :                 +49-7031-164476
Fax :                    +49-7031-164890
e-mail                   rol@de.ibm.com

|         |           "Yuzo Fujishima" |
|         |           <fujishima@bc.jp.|
|         |           nec.com>         |
|         |           07/07/2003 07:39 |

  |       To:       Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
|
  |       cc:       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 32 - Link Semantics in Event
Handlers                                                                 |

Paco,

I, too, would vote for serialization for the same reason.

Yuzo

<wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>