Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 2- sub functions

Hi Bernd,

Please note the differences between invoking a web service from within a BPEL process and invoking a BPEL "sub-process" which itself is defined in BPEL. You are right that BPEL 1.1 already have the first, but issue 2 is about the second.  The current bpel language doesn't have the sub-process concept.

Best Regards,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Eckenfels. Bernd [mailto:B.Eckenfels@seeburger.de]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 4:04 AM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsbpel] Issue - 2- sub functions

Hello,

since John suggested to talk about Issue 2 (and others) in the next conf call, here is my point of view:

- we do need to call synchronous and asynchronous functions by the mean of parameter passing and return values for our engine

- I do not think that new BPEL language constructs are needed. One can do this simply with an One way or two way invoke. The runtime engine can optimize this to avoid web service overhead for IPC. This has the advantage that onMessage handlers can also be used, and there are no additional basic activities.

So for the spec, it might only be needed to mention this possibility. Perhaps we need to givce a recommendation on the WSDL Addressing/bindig section on how to reference such an internal process port?

Greetings
Bernd