Subject: Issue - 11 Query in <to> close should allow assigning to new locations

I would like to open discussion on this issue (and volunteer to champion
it).

The issue is that in section 14.3 dealing with assignment, there is the
following verbiage:

"For XPath 1.0, the value of the query attribute MUST be an absolute
locationPath (with '/' meaning the root of the document fragment
representing the entire part). It is used to identify the root of a subtree
within the document fragment representing the part. <b>The location path
MUST select exactly one node. If the location path selects zero nodes or
more than one node during execution, then the standard fault
bpws:selectionFailure MUST be thrown by a compliant implementation.</b>"
(emphasis added)

This means that the only way to get an initialized value into a variable is
to receive a message from elsewhere.  This is, I believe, far too
restrictive.  I propose that the wording be changed to

 "For XPath 1.0, the value of the query attribute MUST be an absolute
locationPath (with '/' meaning the root of the document fragment
representing the entire part). It is used to identify the root of a subtree
within the document fragment representing the part. <b>When the expression
is used inside a <from> element, the location path MUST select exactly one
node. If the location path selects zero nodes or more than one node during
execution, then the standard fault bpws:selectionFailure MUST be thrown by a
compliant implementation.  When the expression is used inside a <to>
element, and it selects 0 nodes, then the expression should be treated as
the location that the value will have after it is inserted.</b>"

This probably isn't the best wording, and I'd love someone to clean it up a
bit, but I think you get the general idea.

Danny van der Rijn