Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 72 - ( was RE: [wsbpel] Issue 47 and WS-I BP 1.0)

Peter,

    Your comments about MEPs with respect to applying Postel's law are well taken, and of course are at the heart of what WSDL is about (however imperfectly). What I had in mind was a little less far-reaching: operation name overloading. If we applied Postel's law, BPEL would happily consume web services that employ overloading, but ban the practice for services offered by BPEL engines.

    Postel's law is much more applicable at the WSDL level, since that is what must be exposed between partners. It is even more applicable to the binding/transport level, where we already have a history of incompatible implementations in the WS context (ie, SOAP 1.1).

-Ron

Furniss, Peter wrote:
Message
I would strongly support Postel's law in general, but I'm not sure it applies so easily to BPEL.

The detailed content and format of particular messages sent from (be conservative) or received by (be liberal) a BPEL process are obviously subject to Postel's law, but that's a matter for the binding and the involved protocols, and their profiles.

The equivalent for BPEL would first appear to be, as Ron says,  be liberal in the web services you use, conservative in the ones you offer.  However, the use/offer polarity is determined by the WSDL MEP's in use. In the case of asynchronous relationships, where there are paired port types one-way operations, there isn't any obvious distinction as to which side is doing the specifying and which is obediently following it. Even for request/response patterns, it isn't invariably the case that the server has freedom to choose (and thus to obey BP 1.0) and the client has to follow the dictates of the server (whether it obeys BP 1.0 or not), which is the basis of Postel's law.

For BPEL, or indeed for business protocols in general, which side has the initiative is probably determined by other features (which side has more economic clout or more deployed implementation or less intelligent developers or got there first). Postel's law applies as something like "be generous in what you demand of others, providing there is unambiguity; be precise in how you follow the demands of others, even if it doesn't seem entirely reasonable".

Peter
-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Ten-Hove [mailto:Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM]
Sent: 01 October 2003 21:48
To: Eckenfels. Bernd
Cc: BPEL OASIS
Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 47 and WS-I BP 1.0

    Perhaps we should invoke Postel's law, with respect to basic profile conformance. To promote interoperability, we should be as permissive as possible when dealing with (other) web services, but as conformant as possible when creating our own (BPEL engine provided) web services.

    I realize this falls mostly on implementations to worry about, but the basic profile does contain a lot of restrictions and clarifications for the "abstract" service model that may be of interest.. The ban on operation overloading might be slightly simplifying, for example.

    Anyway, a quick scan of the BP didn't reveal anything scary to me. It seems to me that WS-I BP 1.0 compliance will be an implementation worry, but as a technology that will rely on interoperation of our SOAP infrastructure, we ought to encourage (but not mandate) BP compliance.

-Ron

Eckenfels. Bernd wrote:
Hello Ugo,

I think it is not good to speak about violation if an implementation is able to communicate with an larger number of systems.

Perhaps we should chnage this: "conformant BPEL engines must be able to provide and consume Web Services according to BP 1.0a specification. Engine should not provide Web Services with HTTP SOAP binding other than BP1.0 conformant.

Actually I see the point of requiring BP1.0 support as a conformance rule, but I dont see a point of restricting engines to that, even if it applies.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256