Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 36 - Proposal to vote - Multiple instances ofevent handler

Prasad Yendluri wrote:

> I guess only when one tries put things in black and white himself, one
> sees these...
>
> I need to seek some clarifications on the resolution..
>
> 1. The resolution does not talk about partnerLink, portType and
> operation attributes that
>     currently exist on <onMessage/> event handler. I take that is
> because <onEvent> added
>     the messageType attribute but did not take away the other
> attributes. This is perhaps obvious
>     but I better seek a clarification prior to modifying the spec.

The resolution only includes a list of changes to what is currently in
the spec. Everything else stays as it was. So there's a change to the
element name, and a new attribute added, but it doesn't take away
existing attributes.

> 2.  Item 6 in the resolution says,
>
>     6. Upon receipt of the input message the event handler assigns the
>     input
>     message to the variable before proceeding to perform the event handler
>     activity.
>
>     Isn't there a timing issue here still? This is almost similar to
> the original issue, in that
>     what if another message comes through prior to the eventHandler
> actually having a
>     chance to copy out the value to the local variable?

Order of processing is, a) get the message, b) assign it to variable, c)
perform activity. The behavior is very precise in the sense that things
occur in certain order, doesn't mean it has to be pre-emptive and allow
other things to occur inbetween. Also, the continuity does imply that a
race condition is not possible (how you resolve it is a technical
issue), since each time you do a) you have to follow it with b) and c).

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.