Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 27 - Proposal to vote - Setting link status in case of transitioncondition

Satish Thatte wrote:

The link status issue is really more general than this as Goran pointed out during the call.  A scope can always fault in an unrelated place while one or more transition conditions within it are being evaluated, in this case, transition conditions on other links sourced at the same source scope.  It is impossible to specify the exact behavior in such races in the presence of true (multi-processor) concurrency.  If the evaluation of the conditions is not complete (i.e., the link has not actually set its status) then the link status is False.  In the case of the fault occurring in the evaluation of the transition condition itself the evaluation of the condition is not complete and therefore the link status is False.

My understanding is that links are tri-state: empty, true, or false. Until the transition condition is evaluated, the link remains marked as empty, not false as you suggested. Faulting the scope should case the link given in this case to marked as false, as part of dead-path elimination.

-Ron

From: Prasad Yendluri [mailto:pyendluri@webmethods.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 3:48 PM
To: Ashwini Surpur; Assaf Arkin
Cc: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

True. This aspect was clarified in the discussions related to this issue but did not make into the
proposed resolution (we voted on!).

I also see the need to address what the status of the link ends up being in this scenario. The
obvious answer seems to that "a transition condition evaluation error would be same as the
transition condition having evaluated to 'not ture'/false'." But, I somehow feel some will not
see it this way. In any case we need to make a definitive statement here and not leave a
loose end dangling.

Regards, Prasad