Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Possible new issue: BPEL cannot handle some SOAP header bindings

Ugo,

I think the WSDL 1.2/2.0 model for dealing with headers is what we should look at for future guidance.  For WSDL 1.1 we don't apply any restrictions, just the principal that BPEL processes are binding agnostic.  Unfortunately, WSDL 1.1 allows changes to the data model in binding, but presumably with the assumption that the parts from other message types used in headers affect only QoS not app-visible data.

Satish

________________________________

From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Tue 10/21/2003 12:22 PM
To: Satish Thatte; Frank Leymann; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

So what you are saying is that BPEL imposes additional restrictions to the way information can be legally defined in a WSDL 1.1 file. This is a pretty serious statement because it affects BPEL compatibility with "legacy" Web services. Is this the only place in the BPEL spec where we specify such restrictions?

It's also interesting to look at this issue from the point of view of WSDL 1.2, i.e. the elimination of the message construct. In the example I gave before, it just happens that the header is defined in terms of a part that is in an abstract message different than the one that defines the body. If the concept of message is removed, then we just have a bunch of abstract parts, one of which happens to end up in a SOAP header.

Ugo

ave_workgroup.php.