Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Abstract BPEL (was RE: [wsbpel] FAQ)

Title: Message
Dear all,

Thank you for all your responses.  Everyone has a good point, not the least of which is that I should go away and document a use case....

Just to clarify a few things:
For those that might be interested to understand what we are trying to do here in Australia, please take a look at www.bizdex.com.au.  Comments welcome.

Regards,

Steve Capell
RedWahoo
Sydney, Australia
Tel : +61 410 437854
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is confidential and is subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of Red Wahoo Pty. Ltd.

Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects. We do not accept any liability for loss or damage which may arise from your receipt of this e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Jacques Dubray [mailto:jeanjadu@Attachmate.com]
Sent: Friday, 24 October 2003 7:33 AM
To: 'Steve Capell'; 'Satish Thatte'; 'Furniss, Peter'; ygoland@bea.com; 'John Evdemon'; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org; 'Dave Welsh'; 'Monica J. Martin'

Steve:

I don't know if I am able/allowed to publish to this list (I just joined :-). IMHO, you will never be able to have a continuum between public and private choreography, let alone abstract and executable orchestration.

Since you mention BPSS, I feel that I might throw some comments about it. Ancient specifications (based on internet times) like BPSS have long established that most B2B interactions require a certain quality of service that only certain protocols can provide. Traditional QOS protocols, part of the ws-stack are helpless with that matter.

For instance BPSS offer at least two levels of protocols: what I call a "business reliable messaging" protocol and a "business transaction protocol" (Bob feel free to jump in to keep me honest on what I say). These protocols are essentials to carry some business activities (not all I grant you, something like the travel agent example does not need that). Assuming that the private chorerography or the deep orchestration layer will implement these protocols is not the best use of your choreography or orchestration resources. These protocols are far better handled by the "Business Service Interface" concept described in the ebXML architecture and the ebXML BPSS specification. I can only speak for myself, but more protocols are needed at the B2B level, I am assuming that the ebBP group will continue enriching these protocols that cannot be handled by your private choreography, before it touches your orchestration layer.

Hope that helps.

Jean-Jacques
tel: 425-649-6584