Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Abstract BPEL (was RE: [wsbpel] FAQ)

I think we may be in agreement, Frank. I wasn't suggesting that there be
any kind of view or projection between abstract and executable processes
- only that their separate and joint usage scenarios be more clearly
described. The notion of an executable process as an implementation of
an abstract process (or processes!) doesn't seem to be coming through
clearly to our readers.

Wrt formal methods, I suggest only that we motivate better the
restrictions on abstract processes by more clearly stating the kinds of
formal approaches that benefit from them. As it reads today, the
restrictions look rather arbitrary.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Leymann [mailto:LEY1@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 11:38 PM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

I am in full support of...

1.  Abstract processes are purely descriptive (similar to WSDL)

2.  The mechanism used to combine (abstract) processes into an
aggregated artifact is independent from BPEL

3.  An abstract process says nothing about the implementation of the
underlying service(s)

I disagree that we should....

A.  Describe the relation between abstract and executable processes - -
- in case you had in mind to specify some sort of view-mechanism or
projection-mechanism or extension-mechanism to contruct abstract
processes from executable processes, or extend abstract processes into
executable ones.  This is non-trivial and more research like...

I do not understand what you have in mind about "formal methods"...?

Regards,
Frank

-------------------
Prof. Dr. Frank Leymann, Distinguished Engineer IBM Software Group
Member, IBM Academy of Technology

Phone 1:  +49-7031-16 39 98
Phone 2:  +49-7056-96 50 67
Mobile:  +49-172-731 5858
--------------------

To:    "Furniss, Peter" <Peter.Furniss@choreology.com>,
<ygoland@bea.com>,
       "John Evdemon" <jevdemon@microsoft.com>,
       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc:

Thanks for jumping in on this Peter. That's a pretty good summary of my
position. Certainly, what's missing from BPEL today is a way of
describing how individual BPEL abstract processes can be combined
together in a precise way. That is a non-trivial problem in itself, and
while such a description would be of great interest to BPEL, I don't
think that the two should be dependent on one another. One might well
wish to describe the connection of web services whose behaviors are not
specified (or are not specified using BPEL).

Satish pointed to some of the rationale for describing the behavior of
the individual participants rather than taking a more neutral view of
the interaction. On a very practical level, a single-party view has
other benefits as well. It allows systems to be composed using either a
unilateral or bi/multi-lateral approach. Each abstract process
represents the behavior of one service, so it's in a form that can be
directly leveraged by developers to seed or verify their
implementations.

Historically, I believe this approach has also been widely used in
network protocol design. The TCP connection protocol, for example,
speaks of server states (CLOSED, LISTEN, SYN-RECEIVED, ESTABLISHED) and
client states (CLOSED, SYN-SENT, ESTABLISHED) and describes the behavior
of each party in terms of its own local observations and state
transitions. And as Satish was saying, in a neutral model the
(potentially many) race conditions that might arise would have to be
modeled explicitly while in an individual view they still exist but need
not be enumerated.

I'll also just echo a couple of important points that Peter raised.
First, the existence of an abstract BPEL process says *nothing* about
the way in which it is implemented. In fact, we'll probably start
describing existing services long before the first BPEL-compliant
execution engine runs its first process. In that respect, it's very much
like WSDL - purely descriptive.

Second, the interface/implementation relationship is a key point and
gives users a great deal of flexibility. Multiple implementations of a
single interface will be routine. But I think it will also be common for
services to implement multiple abstract process behaviors simultaneously
- perhaps as a "server" in one protocol and a "client" in another.

I don't think abstract processes are very well motivated in the spec
today. We should probably say more about their independence from
implementation and about their relationship to executable processes. We
should also say something about the formal methods that they are
intended to support - certainly, the limitations on abstract processes
were put in place with very specific analytic approaches in mind (i.e.
model-checking).

I have a demonstration of this that I'll be showing at the Microsoft
developer conference in Los Angeles next week. If anyone in the TC will
be attending, please stop by the Microsoft Research booth to say hello
and see the demo. In a nutshell, it shows how we can verify that web
service systems (described by BPEL abstract processes) will communicate
successfully, and how we can detect and visualize errors.

Tony

.