Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 2- requirements for a sub function solution

Frank,

The initial wording of this issue defines subprocesses as outsourced pieces of BPEL codes that can be reused within a process or across multiple processes. In addition, we may consider that these outsourced pieces can be defined locally within a single bpel process and reused only within that process, or defined as a top-level bpel process and reused across multiple bpel processes. Subprocesses should be executed in the context in which they are defined and not in the context where the calling action is defined/executed. Therefore, subprocesses must also have input/output parameters in order to "pass" some information between the context in which the calling action is executed (the current context) and the subprocess. So, subprocesses certainly combine properties of bpel scopes and bpel processes.

Taking all that into account one conclusion could be that a sub-process could be easily modeled as another bpel process with a triggering action referencing either a request-response or one-way wsdl operation. However, this would make sense only for sub-processes defined outside the calling process. But, as you emphasized, Web services are loosely coupled and I my view this is exactly the problem. Sub-processes are, by definition, tightly coupled with calling processes. By tightly coupling I mean:
(1) if calling process is terminated the sub-process must be terminated as well (at least in case of synchronous call)
(2) if sub-process fails and cannot recover from the failure, the fault must be propagated to the calling process
(3) the calling process should be able to call the compensation activity of the sub-process

I am open to your and Satish's suggestions that we should try to keep the BPEL model simple and "stay in the realm of Web services". However, I do not believe that a "notion of "subprocesses" at the policy level enriching service definitions" could alone resolve the problem. I am wondering where requirements #1 and #3 will be specified. Shouldn't they be part of the BPEL process model?

Kind regards,

Ivana