Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 77 - Under specified operation definitions

Ron,

The fact remains that the example I mentioned under issue 77 is a completely standard-compliant service (even though it is probably not one we would use as a recommended usage pattern). In fact the existence of such a case is explicitly called out in sec. 3.7 of the WSDL spec. I agree with you that is should not have been allowed to start with, but unfortunately it's out there now and we simply cannot say that it's non-standard.

In my view it's just a matter of whether we want to support legacy applications or not. Again, my understanding is that this TC decided we want to support legacy cases even when they are deprecated by later specs like WS-I BP.

Ugo
-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Ten-Hove [mailto:Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 12:59 PM
To: Ugo Corda
Cc: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

Ugo,

    It seems we have a choice: use WSDL 1.1 as it was intended, or embrace the misinterpretations that have been made about it. It would be irresponsible, IMHO, if we as a standard endorsed and perhaps even encouraged poorly implemented web services. There is plenty of scope for implementations, tools, and third-party product vendors to find ways to make existing abominations (aka non-compliant services) work within a compliant infrastructure.

    I don't see how accomodating non-standard services within the BPEL standard serves the standards process; it sounds like a good product feature to me.

 Cheers,
-Ron

Ugo Corda wrote:
Ron,

My basic point is that WSDL 1.1, by allowing abstract messages other than those specified in a portType to be bound to the wire, makes the concept of a portType useless.

The concept of an abstract interface should be such that it guides the process of binding. In other words, it tells what can be bound to a concrete interface and what cannot. But WSDL 1.1 allows abstract messages outside the portType to be bound as well. So my definition of abstract interface is as good as the one based on portType, because the one based on portType is in practice not used by WSDL 1.1 when it comes to bindings. For instance, parts coming from the portType can be bound to SOAP headers on the wire the same way that "extra" abstract messages can. So what is the point in saying that the abstract interface is limited to the portType?

In a way, my definition of abstract interface is a demonstration of how absurdly defined some parts of WSDL 1.1 are. I am completely in agreement with your idea of using WS-I BP to solve many WSDL 1.1 problems (in fact I was one of the champions for that). Unfortunately BP 1.0 does not solve all of WSDL 1.1 problems, and in particular does not say anything about the use of "extra" abstract messages.

The issue I have been trying to address with issue 77 is, in any case, a legacy one and we would be facing it even if BP 1.0 had said something very explicit in this area, because of our previous conclusion that BPEL should support legacy applications even in those cases when they are deprecated by BP 1.0.

Ugo