Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Licensing lssues for Small Vendors

Danny,

IANAL as you, and my crude interpretation is similar, which makes me
especially worried about OEM, ISV agreements.

++Harvey

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny van der Rijn [mailto:dannyv@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 12:30 PM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

IANAL either, but that your understanding and my understanding are complete
opposites.  (i have talked to our lawyers, by the way, but it was a long
time ago.)

i can't find the IP statements on the OASIS web site, but in my memory, the
things that stick out as the most objectionable for the licenses that i've
seen:

- the licenses that i have seen are not sublicensable.  which means that
while <company a> that licenses BPEL IPR from the original 5 is licensed to
use BPEL, customers of <company a's product> are not licensed, and must
separately negotiate with the "BPEL 5".

- <author company> grants you license to patents THEY deem necessary to
implement BPEL provided you cross-license any of your patents that THEY deem
necessary to implement BPEL.  i don't think that the patents are made
explicit in the license.  they can determine them at any point in the
future.

these are just the 2 that stick out most.  and again, i don' t have much
source material to back me up at this point, so it may all be wrong.

this is why i would like the ability to discuss the issues openly with the
TC and not get shut down by OASIS staff, as we have been in the past.

danny