Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 10 - (resolution to) Implicit compensation Handler

I found I had left a message incomplete in my Drafts folder over
Christmas.

Changing the subject line to make the issue list script pick it up (I've
now added in the other ones - though the discussion diverges into
extensibility from about Yaron's message of Dec 23)

At the face-to-face, I made some comments in the issue 10 discussion,
and the email discussion seemed to expect me to clarify, thouh I never
had any fully formulated view.

There was mention of the principle of least surprise (from Yaron I
think). It seemed to me that, given the scenario with crossing links
that Satish put forward at the ftf, *any* default solution would be
fairly surprising, and that the user would be unlikely to guess what
would happen, or if they guessed be confident of it.

I think the inability to mimic the default behaviour with custom is
fairly important - if in testing a script it doesn't always seem to to
what I think it should, I'd like to be able put in what I think the
default behaviour is, but explicitly, and see if it was just I'd not
realised the implications. Having a whole set of behaviour that, though
sometimes useful, I can't reproduce easily
or at all would be worrying. So I'm inclined to make the default
behaviour merely a simplish case of customisable.

But with a subscope in a loop, reverse completion order really does seem
better. But I'd make it depth-first, so each compensation handler is
only concerned with its immediate childrens' compensation handlers,
rather than with grand-childrens'.

I've kind of lost track of where that actually takes us as a proposal.

Peter

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is
erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
immediately.