Subject: Re: [wsbpel] FW: [wsbpel-uc] RE: Issue 24

Phil,

Before we dig into the details of the schema, I would like to bring up a
few points / questions:

(1) Who is the editor / author of the existing schema? Is he/she
included in the list of people already?

(2) There are two approaches we can tackle this schema rewriting:

[A] a 3-way relation: (suggested by Bernd) a common base type, which is
inherited by both executable-BPEL subtype and abstract-BPEL subtype
[B] a 2-way relation: using abstract type as the base type and
executable inherit directly or indirectly from the abstract type. The
inheritance may be done through two steps: one restriction, one
extension if needed. E.g. tFromAbstract has opaque attribute;
tFromExeBase inherits from tFromAbstract by restricting the use of
opaque; tFromExe inherits from tFromExeBase by extending and adding
query attribute.

Between [A] and [B], we would prefer [B]. We think most of BPEL element
type should use pattern [B]. Because, it have a clearer relation between
abstract and executable BPEL elements. For [A], abstract and executable
BPEL element definition can diverge a lot. The extreme case is the base
type would not have an empty type definition, and most of the "meat"
happen in two separate inheritance extension. That is we would not like
to see.

(3)
The current form BPEL spec does not spell difference of abstract and
executable clear and explicitly enough. It just has two relatively brief
extension chapters and pieces of description scattered around the spec.

For example, in the XML Schema, the minOccurs of partnerLinks element
under Process is zero now. I tend to believe that zero can only make
sense in abstract BPEL, executable BPEL should have at least one
partnerLink. There is a similar situation for variables declaration.

All these are guessed by our intuition when we are reading spec. We
really prefer that all those distinctions are spelled explicitly in
both: (a) expanded chapters for extensions in the spec (e.g. chapter 14
and 15, using natural language) and (b) XML Schema listed in the
Appendix. The more details, the better. The more earlier, the better.

(4)
Once we decide the approach, we need to find a way to divide actual
works among us.