Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 103 - Good Idea!

Yes, that can be potentially simplified / omitted, following Assaf's suggestion.
However, there may be some WSDL 2.0 consideration / tradeoff.
Please see my other email which just got sent out.

For whether to have root element, I am open to one way or the other.

Satish Thatte wrote:

Why do we need to show both myPOMessageVar and POMessage?  Isn’t the latter implied by the former (1:1 association)?

From: Alex Yiu [mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 4:49 PM
To: Satish Thatte
Cc: ygoland@bea.com; wsbpeltc; ALEX.YIU@oracle.com

Hi,

I originally introduced the syntax as an addition, because I did not want to rock the boat too much. If the community really likes this idea, I am up for replacementment also. That would imply we may want to use Xpath to address the WSDL 1.1 message part issue also.

Regarding to XPath pointing to WSDL 1.1 message part situation,
Based on the "POMessage" in the first example listed in BPEL spec:
<message name="POMessage">
   <part name="customerInfo" type="sns:customerInfo"/>
   <part name="purchaseOrder" type="sns:purchaseOrder"/>
</message>

I guess it may look like this:

$tns:myPOMessageVar/pos:POMessage/pos:customerInfo/sns:customerInfo

Please pay attention to the prefix and namespace association.
xmlns:tns = BPEL's targetNamespace (can be omitted in some cases)
xmlns:pos = WSDL's targetNamespace

$tns:myPOMessageVar => QNAME to variable
pos:POMessage => root element of that message
pos:customer => part name
sns:customerInfo => QName of XSD Type used in the message part definition
                                (if complex type is used)

Hmm ... the XPath may look more complicated than most people expect ...??  (if we want stick with true spirit of WSDL 1.1 and  XSD)

Satish Thatte wrote:

Alex,

Are you proposing this as an addition or a replacement for the current
syntax?  Sounds like an addition to me from the issue description but is
there a reason to have two syntactic mechanisms?

Satish