Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 121 - <finally> construct

Hi Bern,

I believe that the scope wrapping feature is not enough because sometimes
the inner scope will complete successfully and sometimes the inner scope
will rethrow the exception which ends up being 2 execution paths from the
perspective of the wrapper scope.

Regarding transactions, here again I am not sure that something like
WS-BusinessActivity or even a context service would address the problem
given that each final call includes application level data.

Best,
Edwin

-----Original Message-----
From: Eckenfels. Bernd [mailto:B.Eckenfels@seeburger.de]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 10:50 AM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Edwin,

you can simulate the finally semantics with a scope inside the scope. You
might need to add a rethrowing catch-all fault handler. Effectively you then
have two places where you have to clean up, but most likely those differ
anyway.

<sequence>
  <invoke name="reserve-ressource">

  <scope name="do something with multiple exits" />

  <invoke name="free-ressource">
</sequence>

Personally I agree, that a finally is nicer.

However: I am not sure if reserving external ressources is a use case we
should optimize for, since this will get the customer into troubles sooner
or later anyway. Dont ha your busienss transaction support in your engine,
and can use that much more robust for reserving ressources and establishing
and tearing down sessions with them? This would be best solved with business
transactions, anyway.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256