Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 107 - Proposal for Vote

Hi all,

I guess you guys would not be surprised that I actually some preliminary
preferred answers to my own questions. :-)

Please see inline ....

Alex Yiu wrote:

> Hi Yaron,
>
> You move to the proposal stage of Issue 107 faster than I expect. :-)
> I am for the spirit of Issue 107 in general.
> However, there may be some technical details which we may still need
> to nail down.
>
> (a)
> One detail is about the syntactic issue of QNAME of "bpel:opaque".
> (I am thinking out loud below ...)
> Some attributes used in BPEL now are QNAME or NCNAME.
> In XML Schema or WSDL 2.0, we have special value string as "##any" or
> "#any" for some of their special attribute.
> We may want to use "##opaque" or "#opaque" instead (?)

Let's try to use "##opaque".

> (b)
> Other questions are: does <opaque> have a name attribute itself?

Definitely, we should have a name attribute. We may want to add a
required / optional "<documentation>" sub element also.

> (c)
> Does it have all standard elements and attributes similar to other
> actvities?
> (e.g. <source> <target> suppressJoinFailure attributes

Yes, we want to have those standard elements and attributes.
Then, the <opaque> element will be more expressive. That is, some
activities should happen here in the <opaque> places. Details are not
known in the abstract BPEL drafting. However, the execution of
activities for the place holder will have given cause and effects in
terms of <source> and <target>.

That is one of the reasons why we should have ONE activity per <opaque>
place holder (as stated in my previous email). And, we use <sequence>,

> (d)
> <opaque> can be used as a place holder for a single activity.
> How about some activities container? <onAlarm>,  <case>, <otherwise>?
> and different kinds of Handlers?

Let's be more conversative for now. We may not want to bite too much in
terms of usage of <opaque> than we can swallow. I would tend to think we
should NOT try to use replace the activities container listed above for
BPEL 1.1 cycle.

I hope all these suggestions make senses to you guys!!!