Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Q: Matching <reply> with <receive>

Yuzo,

Synchronous reply does not need correlation unless there is a problem of
disambiguating the matching receive.  This I believe answers your second
question.

Your first question is interesting in that we have not clearly stated
what the minimum requirements for disambiguation are.  Thus having the
two outstanding receives you showed is legal because they are
differentiated by csets.  But what is needed in a reply if, for
instance, both receives correspond to synchronous operations?  The easy
answer is that it should be one of the csets that is not common with the
others.  But what if the reply message does not contain the
corresponding properties?  We need to think about this more.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Satish

-----Original Message-----
From: Yuzo Fujishima [mailto:fujishima@bc.jp.nec.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 12:51 AM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsbpel] Q: Matching <reply> with <receive>

Hi,

I have a few questions about the rule of matching <reply> with
<receive>.

[Q1] Must <reply> always specify all the correlation sets specified by
the
corresponding <receive>?

For example, if there are two <receive>'s outstanding as follows,

   receive name="rec1" partnerLink="pl" portType="pt" operation="op"
     correlation set="cs1" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs2" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs3" initiate="yes"
     correlation set="cs4" initiate="yes"

   receive name="rec2" partnerLink="pl" portType="pt" operation="op"
     correlation set="cs1" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs2" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs5" initiate="yes"
     correlation set="cs6" initiate="yes"

Must a <reply> specify all of the corresponding <receive>'s CS's? That
is,
for rec1,
   reply name="rep1" partnerLink="pl" portType="pt" operation="op"
     correlation set="cs1" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs2" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs3" initiate="no"
     correlation set="cs4" initiate="no"

Or only as many as necessary to disambiguate the matching?
   reply name="rep1" partnerLink="pl" portType="pt" operation="op"
     correlation set="cs3" initiate="no"

[Q2] Does it follow that if a <receive> specify a correlation set, the
corresponding reply can only send a message that contains the
correlation
set?

If it does, then the rule seems to be too restrictive. For example, the
following process will be illegal.

1. receive a Purchase Order and initialize correlation set CS-PO.
2. synchronously reply with an acknowledge message not containing CS-PO.
       <- Illegal
3. receive and/or invoke using CS-PO to perform the rest of the PO
process.

Yuzo Fujishima
NEC Corporation

the OASIS TC), go to