Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 34 - Proposal for vote

One of the more common activities, I suspect, in BPEL processes will be
receiving the URI of a service in a message and then sending a message
to that service. If such a basic example cannot be supported by BPEL in
an interoperable way then BPEL is broken.

In order to support this example there needs to be a way to set the URI
of a partnerRole. The original specification envisioned that a role
would be described as an endpoint reference using the definition in WSA
and then one could manipulate that endpoint reference by changing
information such as the URI.

I understand the group's desire to stay away from the WSA arena but I
don't think gives us permission to ignore this critical use case.

However, I think it's worth taking a second to look at endpoint
references. They contain five types of data - address, reference
properties, portType, service-port and policy.

Reference properties can be implemented today using a WSDL message part
and correlation sets. So you can get there from here.

portType is already defined by the partnerLink the role belongs to.

service-port is about dynamic discovery of the kind of information that
had to already be defined by the partnerLink. In a sense the
functionality represented by service-port is an improvement on what is
possibly today but I think BPEL only needs to equal, not necessarily
exceed, what can be done over the wire in Web Services today.

policy - If service-port represents the technology of tomorrow then
policy represents the technology of Buck Rodgers. It's going to take a
while before this one gets fully baked and we shouldn't let ourselves
get held up in the meantime. I think we can ignore this one for the same
reasons as service-port.

So near as I can tell the only thing in endpoint references that we
really need is the address, e.g. the URI, e.g. the thing you need for
the example I gave above.

So why don't we come up with some command that lets a BPEL program set
the URI on a partnerRole and call it a day? When setting the URI either
the deployment system (e.g. the thing that is out of scope) will have a
configuration that will work with the URI or it will reject it. In other
words the BPEL process says "I want to talk to 'ftp://foo.com/bar'" and
either the system through some undefined means has a configuration it
likes for ftp://foo.com/bar including bindings, policies, etc. and so
says 'sure, no problem' or it doesn't in which case a fault is thrown.

         Yaron