Subject: Re: [wsbpel] inputVariable optional on Invoke

Prasad,

    I agree, R2202 only speaks about soap message bodies. That is why I quoted some of the prose following R2202 in section 5.3.1.  At the risk of repetition:
Use of wsdl:message elements with zero parts is permitted in Document styles to permit operations that can send or receive messages with empty soap:Bodys. Use of wsdl:message elements with zero parts is permitted in RPC styles to permit operations that have no (zero) parameters and/or a return value.
    Those sentences make clear that the BP authors expect that wsdl:messages can have zero parts. This would suggest that some reasonable folks have interpreted the WSDL 1.1 spec to mean that message parts are optional, which is all we really need to know in order to justify making inputVariable optional. This choice expands the set of SOAP implementations that BPEL can run on top of.

Cheers,
-Ron

Prasad Yendluri wrote:
Ron,

Hope my reply to Ugo clarifies my point. We cannot deduce from R2202  that the wsdl:message and hence the inputVariable to invoke (in BPEL) can be totally absent. R2202 only permits wsdl:messages with zero parts and not the need for a wsdl:message itself.

Regards, Prasad
[snippage]