Subject: AW: AW: [wsbpel] Issue - 147 - Serial and Parallel For-Each

Alex,

thank your very much, and sorry for causing work because I was a bit terse
(I promise improvement): That's exactly what I had in mind ;-)

Next is special kind of fault mechanism:  Often, the execution of such a
"for each" does not necessarily fail if some of the spawned activities fail
but it's o.k. as long as "enough" activities successfully completed (like in
an RFQ scenario). Explicitly realizing corresponding "N out of M" conditions
or that like might be cumbersome in BPEL today.

Mit besten Grüßen,
Frank Leymann
Phone:......+49-711-7816 470
Mobile:.....+49-162-322 4444
e-Mail: Frank.Leymann@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alex Yiu [mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Saturday, July 17, 2004 2:33 AM
An: ygoland@bea.com
Cc: Frank Leymann; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org; Alex Yiu

Hi,

Regarding to Frank's question: "How is the output of the set of
activities running in parallel combined?":

If I understand what he means correctly, he may mean how to aggregrate
individual data pieces received / generated by individual parallel flow
into one bigger data  E.g. aggregating the results of different RFQ into
one business doc.  In some cases, the order of aggregration / document
order matters.

Potential answers are: [sorry ... kind of heading back to Issue 11 :-) ].
(1) a sequential forEach to initialize a sequence of empty quotation in
a particular order.
e.g. <quotation supplier="..."> ...</quotation>
(2)  The parallel forEach will assign the data to specified location by
looking up by supplier attribute:
<to ...$var/quotation[@supplier=$supplierVar]  />

If the aggregration order does not matter, we don't need to intialize a
sequence. We just need to use "append" within the parallel forEach
(Issue 11 here again ...)

Yaron Y. Goland wrote:

> Please see below
>
> Frank Leymann wrote:
>

>> Yaron – initial questions:
>>

>> How is the output of the set of activities running in parallel combined?
>>

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. None of our activities have
> return values so what would we be combining?
>

>> What is the fault model, i.e. what happens if a subset of the forked
>> activities fail?
>>

> The parallel for-each is effectively a dynamic flow. The same fault
> and completion conditions that apply to flows also apply to parallel
> for-each.
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Frank Leymann
>>
>> Phone:......+49-711-7816 470