Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 152 - Clarification of usage of "reference-scheme" attribute of "service-ref" element

why do we need this extra wrapper with open content?

________________________________

From: Alex Yiu [mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com]
Sent: Wed 7/28/2004 4:25 PM
To: Francisco Curbera
Cc: ygoland@bea.com; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org; Alex Yiu

Well ... I guess you guys won't be surprised that I prefer keeping that attribute and make that attribute optional. Right? :-)

Reasons are:
(a) As mentioned in previous emails, given the same content EII, different reference schemes can treat content differently when supplemented with different URI values used in that attribute. For example, different treatments of wsdl:service element based on the attribute.
(b) If we don't have this optional attribute, then we will need to introduce another element to manage around the content EII.
(E.g. <bpws:service-ref><foo:bar><wsdl:service>...</wsdl:service></foo:bar></bpws:service-ref>)
That extra wrapper seems quite unnecessary.

Thoughts for your consideration.

Francisco Curbera wrote:

	+1

	Paco

	                      "Yaron Y. Goland"
	                      <ygoland@bea.com> <mailto:ygoland@bea.com>         To:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
	                                               cc:
	                      07/28/2004 12:25         Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 152 - Clarification of usage of "reference-scheme"
	                      PM                        attribute of "service-ref" element
	                      Please respond to
	                      ygoland

	I'd like to propose a 3rd option - remove reference-scheme all together.

	The definition of reference-scheme and how it should be used with
	various EPRs is ambiguous at best. I don't believe we can usefully
	reduce the ambiguity without also becoming a lot more specific than any
	of us want to in regards to EPRs.

	But EPR's ambiguity means that the reference-scheme's utility as a
	generic handle onto EPRs is questionable. Therefore why don't we just
	get rid of the reference-scheme attribute? If an EPR needs some kind of
	higher level disambiguator then let a URI be defined as an attribute on
	the EPR's root element by the EPR author themselves. Let's keep BPEL out
	of it.

	                         Just a thought,

	                                     Yaron

	ws-bpel issues list editor wrote:

		This issue has been added to the wsbpel issue list. The issues list is
		posted as a Technical Committee document to the OASIS WSBPEL TC pages
		<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel> <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel>  on a regular
		basis. The current edition, as a TC document, is the most recent version
		of the document entitled ** in the "Issues" folder of the WSBPEL TC
		document list
		<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/documents.php> <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/documents.php>  -
		the next posting as a TC document will include this issue. The list
		editor's working copy, which will normally include an issue when it is
		announced, is available at this constant URL
		<http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html> <http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html> .

		    Issue - 152 - Clarification of usage of "reference-scheme" attribute
		    of "service-ref" element

		*Status:* open
		*Categories:* Syntax and validation <#category_syntax_and_validation>
		*Date added:* 27 Jul 2004
		*Submitter:* Alex Yiu <mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com> <mailto:alex.yiu@oracle.com>
		*Date submitted:* 26 July 2004
		to introduce a "bpws:service-ref" element wrapper to contain details of
		the EPR used by partnerLink. There was some discussion on how to use the
		"reference-scheme" attribute of the "bpws:service-ref" wrapper element.

		Here are some suggested usage:

		(A) Keep it required as mentioned in original proposal of Issue 34:

		The "bpws:service-ref" has a required attribute called
		"reference-scheme" to denote the URI of the reference interpretation
		scheme of service endpoint, which is the child element of
		bpws:service-ref. Most likely, the URI of reference scheme will have the
		same value for the namespace URI of the child element of
		bpws:service-ref. But they are not necessarily the same.

		    * When the BPEL container fails to interpret the combination of the
		      "reference-scheme" attribute and the content element OR just the
		      content element alone, a standard fault
		      "bpws:UnsupportedReference" must be thrown.

		(B) Make it optional:

		The "bpws:service-ref" has an optional attribute called
		"reference-scheme" to to denote the URI of the reference interpretation
		scheme of service endpoint, which is the child element of

	bpws:service-ref.

		Most likely, the URI of reference scheme and the namespace URI of the
		child element of bpws:service-ref are not necessarily the same.
		Typically, this optional attribute is used ONLY when the child element
		of the "bpws:service-ref" is ambiguous by itself. The optional attribute
		supplies further information to disambiguate the usage of the content.

		Example: different treatments of wsdl:service element

		    * If that attribute is not specified, use the namespace URI of the
		      content element within the wrapper to determine the reference
		      scheme of service endpoint.

		    * if the attribute is specified, use the URI as the reference scheme
		      of service endpoint and treat the content element within the
		      wrapper accordingly.
		          o When the "reference-scheme" attribute is specified, the URI
		            value is MOST LIKELY different from the namespace URI of the
		            content element for EPR.
		    * When the BPEL container fails to interpret the combination of the
		      "reference-scheme" attribute and the content element OR just the
		      content element alone, a standard fault
		      "bpws:UnsupportedReference" must be thrown.

		*Submitter's proposal:*

		I personally prefer (B) over (A).
		*Changes:* 27 Jul 2004 - new issue

		To comment on this issue, please follow-up to this announcement on the
		wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org list (replying to this message should
		automatically send your message to that list), or ensure the subject
		line as you send it *starts* "Issue - 152 - [anything]" or is a reply to
		such a message. If you want to formally propose a resolution, please
		start the subject line "Issue - 152 - Proposed resolution", without any
		Re: or similar.

		To add a new issue, see the issues procedures document (but the address
		for new issue submission is the sender of this announcement).

		the OASIS TC), go to

	http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgroup.php
	.