Subject: Schedule for specification - Aug 15 deadline for non-bug issues

Hi,
Just a reminder that at the last F2F, we resolved Aug 15 would be the deadline for opening non-bug issues.   The date is fast approaching.
We will need to decide how to manage the process for opening new issues after that date.  I've attached a file with some thoughts.  We can discuss this on tomorrow's call and by email.  We will need to finalize this by the next meeting on Aug. 18 when it will go into effect.

Ideas for improvement are welcome!

Here is the email I sent after the F2F recapping the discussion we had about the schedule.  Note that the next checkpoint was to have an updated spec by mid August which we will plan to thoroughly review at the next f2f.
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200406/msg00161.html

Regards, Diane
IBM  Dynamic e-business Technologies
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123
Title: First draft of process for handling issues opened after Aug 15 deadline for non-bug fixes:

First draft of process for handling issues opened after Aug 15 deadline for non-bug fixes:

•   Review all new issues with the full TC on the next call after they are submitted

–        Ask issues editor to add a new status flag to identify these

•   If there is no objection to handling as a bug the issue will progress to open

–        If there are any concerns, need for more review, etc. defer decision to next TC call

•   If it is not considered a bug: Alternative 1

–        Review for next 2 weeks and vote on whether it is a bug at the next TC call

–        If the decision is that it is not a bug, vote (immediately) on whether to allow it to be opened.

•   If it is not considered a bug: Alternative 2

–        Open a web ballot that will close just before the next TC to determine if it is a bug.  Email discussion continues in parallel.

–        If the ballot concludes that it is a bug, open the issue when the ballot closes.

–        If the ballot determines it is not a bug, vote at the TC meeting on whether to open it.

–        The web ballot may help bring attention to the discussion and give folks an idea leading up to the call on which way the TC is leaning.  By concluding this decision before the TC call we minimize time spend discussing whether something is a bug on the calls and focus on whether to open those that are not bugs.

•   If the issue is not opened as a result of this process, it will move directly to closed with no action and the revisitable flag will be set for future consideration

•   Notes

–        This attempts to get issues that are clearly bugs opened with minimum overhead.

–        Both alternatives provide for a minimum of 2 week + 1 day review for those that are not clear

–        Decision on whether an issue is a bug or not is simple majority, decision on whether to open a non-bug issue is super majority

–        If we don’t have sufficient number of members on a call for a vote that requires a super majority we should decided it by a web ballot that starts immediately after the call and runs for 7 days