Subject: RE: [wsbpel] BPEL potential issue - no explicit conformance statements

Dear Yaron and others,

I was sort of half expecting someone to raise that point.

I currently think the answer is twofold.

Firstly having a specific section gives implementers a first 'port of call'
- somewhere they can start there search for precisely what the need to make
their implementation do to conform to the specification - if they should
choose to conform.

Secondly, and perhaps this is key, it seems to me that there are different
'things' that can be claimed to comply (or claimed not to comply) and I
think that different statements apply to each.  So I have suggested
different sub-sections for BPEL documents, tools and engines.  Open to
suggestions for more or less 'things'.

And a third is that it is a good practice that is followed in very many
other specifications such as those for WSDL and XML that BPEL builds upon.
Why did the writers of those specifications see fit to include explicit
conformance sections when they also use the same language MUST, MAY and
SHOULD?

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher

Cohesions  (TM)

Business transaction management software for application coordination
www.choreology.com

Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Fax: +44 (0) 870 7390077  Mobile: +44 (0) 7801
948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)