Subject: New BPEL Issue process - please read - will effect your new issues

On the last call, I promised to send an email restating the process for opening issues that we discussed and adopted on the call.  Here it is and I've taken the opportunity to use Tony's proposal as an example.   (Tony, hope you don't mind being the test case).

1. proposed issues will be reviewed on the TC call if they are received 7 or more days before the call.  (Thus this one will be reviewed on the call Sept 15).
2. on that call, we will first ask if there are any objections to opening the proposed issues as a bug.   If there are none, we will open the issue, end of process.
3. If there are objections, we will have a vote (requiring simple majority) on whether it is bug related.  This will be not be done immediately - it will be done either by web ballot starting immediately after the meeting or at the next meeting (in this case the f2f on Sept 21-23).   The decision on whether to use the web ballot or wait till the next meeting will be based on whether we desire further discussion about whether it is a bug or not on the next call before the ballot.
If the ballot results in it being considered a bug, we will open the issue, end of process
4. If the ballot to declare it a bug doesn't pass,  there will be a second ballot, held right away (for this eg, Sept 21-23), on whether to allow it to be opened.
---------> Note that since we've decided this ballot to open a non-bug will require a super majority and that is based on full voting membership rather than quorum, we may not be able to hold it if there aren't enough members in the meeting.   If there are enough attendees (ie, at least 2/3 of voting members), we will vote immediately - if it fails, and the number of absences are such that it could pass if they all voted for it, we will defer the decision and vote via web ballot starting immediately after the call/meeting.   The web ballot will run for 7 days per the OASIS process.  From our general attendance rates, its probable we will usually be able to have the initial vote on our call but will have to go to the web ballot if there are more than a couple folks who don't want it opened.
If the second ballot to open the issue passes, we open the issue, end of process.
If the ballot to open the issue does not pass, the issue will move directly to closed status and the "revisitable" flag will be set, end of process.

Again, just as an example, best case we could decide this is a bug and open it on the call Sept. 15, or worst case, it could be Sept 30 before we've resolved what to do.   (This is one week less than most cases because the f2f in Sept means we have meetings 3 weeks in a row).

Any questions?

Regards, Diane
IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709

"Tony Fletcher" <tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com>

08/27/2004 12:54 PM

<wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[wsbpel] New BPEL Issue - add explicit conformance statements / section

Dear Colleagues,

I move that we accept a new "bug" issue into the issues list concerned with adding an explicit set of conformance statements, preferably in a conformance section, to the specification for 'BPEL'.  The rationale and a draft proposal is given in the attached document.

Resolving this issue will not lead to the addition of any new features..  However, it will enhance and clarify the text in a significant manner and therefore is worth tackling at this time.

The process of adding such a conformance section will cause us to think about and address the following questions:

For what sort of 'things' can conform to the BPEL specification?

For each type of 'thing' for which conformance can be claimed, what precisely does that thing have to be / do / not do to be conformant.

Best Regards,
Tony

Tony Fletcher
Technical Advisor
Choreology Ltd.
68, Lombard Street, London EC3V 9L
J   UK
Phone:   +44 (0) 1473 729537
Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
Fax:     +44 (0) 870 7390077
Web: www.choreology.com
Cohesions™
Business transaction management software for application coordination
Work: tony.fletcher@choreology.com
Home: amfletcher@iee.org