Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 6 - Rough draft of proposal for vote

Hi, Yaron,

Don't get me wrong. :-)
I don't want an over-engineered complete condition proposal either.

If you read my emails again, you can see:
  • I am for completionCondition (including the branchCondition version)
  • I am not so sure about "isComplete()" function value.
  • IMHO, ignoreFault is not necessary and it does not look like a good idea. (I feel that it is a "tail wagging the dog" situation).

Basically, completionCondition (and branchCondition) is an extended version of your orJoin="yes" proposal (eq. to branch="1"). That offers a very nice high-level abstraction of a complete condition, that can be applied to <flow>, serial and parallel version of forEach. That is a declarative approach.

On the other hand, "break" or its equivalents offers an imperative approach.

I think we should try to enable both, if feasible. Because, they are for different audiences. The declarative approach is more for business analysist. The imperative approach is more for programmers who wish to control fine details on how to end a flow.

The only catch of "break" is we need to nicely define the following:
  • the target of the "break"-jump (while, switch, scope, flow)?
  • its effect on sibiling flows, the compensation/fault handler states of parent scopes, the links of parent activities

Anyway, that will belongs to Issue 142 discussion thread.

Yaron Y. Goland wrote:
I believe that the complexity of the current proposal is well above the capabilities of what I expect to be the average BPEL programmer. Completion conditions, ignorable faults, new XPATH functions, etc. introduces a lot of complexity that I believe that average BPEL programmer would not be interested in dealing with.

We know from many decades of language experience that average programmers can deal with break/continue. I know from at least our own experience at BEA that users can deal with the concept of a flow where a break in the flow results in the other members of the flow being terminated in the BPEL meaning of the term.

Defining a break activity and specifying that if break is used in the context of flow then this means that the flow activity ends and any uncompleted members of the flow are terminated would both fit directly into BPEL's existing syntax and semantics and I believe be simple enough that the average programmer can handle it. I would therefore offer break (and it's relative 'continue') as an alternative.

    Thanks,

        Yaron

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi,

Ivana, thanks for sending out this proposal.
I believe a number of us (including me) like the <completionConditon> construct from your proposal high level speaking.

After reading the proposal, I guess we need to work on a number of details. I would like to ask a few questions / mention a few points:

    * Minor syntax and semantics questions :
          o Do we want to allow expression for branch attribute? instead
            of just a constant integer?
          o We may need to some minor syntax adjustment for expression
            attribute because we have passed Isseu 13 already.
          o If answers to the above question are yes, then the condition
            syntax may become a choice (xsd:choice) of the following two:
            <condition
            expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>boolean-expression</condition>
            <branchCondition
            expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>integer-expression</condition>

    * About completionConditionFailure : it looks like a nice idea so
      far ...

    * About the new "isCompleted()" function :  I am not against this
      function. But, I tend to think there are usually BPEL variables
      being modifed as the execution result of a flow activity. (See the
      train-or-plane-and-hotel example). Is it more typical to have
      completionCondition to be evaluated on those variables?
      Also, after the completion of the whole flow, it is not uncommon
      for people to have logic to find out which branch is finished
      (especially when "or" is involved in the condition). The
      "isComplete()" function would be available only within the
      completionCondition within the flow. People may get confused and
      attempt to use the "isComplete()" function outside the flow. If
      the completionCondition relies on variables, the same logic is
      applicable outside of the flow.

    * About the IgnoreFault semantics: I recall this ignoreFault idea
      back to March F2F. With ignoreFault semantics, it essentially
      introduces two brand new semantics.
          o It turns <flow> into a semi-<scope> like construct
          o It adds this new "ignoreFault" semantics: which catches
            certain fault and the catching action will not cause any
            scope to be marked as faulted.

    I tend to think this "ignoreFault" functionality has quite a heavy
    weight impact to <flow> and fault handling picture in BPEL. If there
    is an alternative way to achieve similar business logic, I would go
    for the alternative way.

    Quoted from Ivana's email:
    " Not all activities must complete in order the enclosing flow
    activity to complete. The way to identify that an enclosed activity
    did not complete is to propagate faults. "

    I agree with the first sentence. But, I am not sure that propagating
    fault is the only way to identify an enclosed activity did not
    complete. I would rather use a scope as an activity enclosed by
    flow. If we wish to suppress any minor fault which happens during
    the execution of the scope, then we can just add a fault handler. If
    the fault that happen, the scope will be marked as "faulted".

    The completeConditon can identify the "incomplete" state of the
    scope by two ways:

        * completeCondition can be evaluated based on BPEL variables,
          which are set to "incomplete" state by pre-flow initialization
          or related fault-handler logic.
        * branch-based condition will interprete a faulted scope as
          "incomplete" branch and will not count them into the required
          N branches.

    This will allow us to suppress minor fault with or without the
    <completionCondition> construct. Please see the following example.
    It is already legal and working today. It shows how to suppress
    "foo:barFault" without the <completeCondition> construct

    <flow>
       <scope name="A">
          <faultHandler>
             <catch faultName="foo:barFault" ... > ... </catch>
          </faultHandler>
          <sequence>
             ...  <invoke name="doA" ... /> ...
          </sequence>
       </scope>
       <scope name="B"> ... <!-- similar to A --> ... </scope>      </flow>

    If the invoke of "doA" triggers "foo:barFault", the scope "A" will
    be marked as faulted. On the other hand, scope "B" will be allowed
    to continue and complete. After scope "B" is completed, the
    compensation handler of scope "B" will be installed. And, the
    overall execution of flow is still considered a normal completion.

    I hope I have illustrated we can achieve similar logic without
    introducing a new "ignoreFault" construct and concept to BPEL.

    What "completionCondition" does should be just providing a way to
    pro-actively cancel/terminate other flows without waiting to them to
    complete or to be faulted.

    * About "Cancel-other-flows":   (Let me consolidate what I am
      leaning towards so far.) We need to formal define the notion of a
      " cancel-other-flows " mechanism. This mechanism is specified and
      attached to <flow> construct (and future parallel forEach
      construct).  When this mechanism is triggered by one of parallel
      flows, it will cancel/terminate other parallel flows which are
      still running, after the triggering flow is completed. If the
      other flow activties are scope activities, the scope will be
      marked as cancelled.

      This mechanism will be triggered upon the completionCondition is
      evaluated to be true.

      [Note: (a) since this mechanism is triggered by without using any
      fault directly. This will again decrease the need of "ignoreFault"
      construct (b) This mechanism will affect the wordings of Issue 135
      to an extent.]

      [Question: again, should we enforce scope-only activity when
      completionCondition is used? I tend to say yes.]

Thank you all for following and reading this email thread!!!

Trickovic, Ivana wrote:

Here is a proposal for the completion condition - it addresses some issues not tackled so far (at least not in case of <completeCondition>). It is a version of the proposal for completion condition for the bundle element. This proposal includes comments from many people including Frank Leymann, Dieter Koenig, Dieter Roller and Satish Thatte. It does not mean that they completely support the proposal - they may have issues with any part of the proposal.

Completion condition

=====================

The current semantics of the flow activity is that it waits for all concurrent activities to complete. The completion also means that an enclosed activity/scope may end abnormally or be skipped (e.g. the join condition of the activity evaluated to false). If a fault is thrown within an enclosed activity/scope and one of the local fault handlers catch the fault (and does not rethrow the fault), the enclosed activity/scope will be deemed to be completed (although ended abnormally). If a fault is not caught by any local fault handler (or is rethrown) the flow activity will terminate all active concurrent activities and corresponding fault handler may be initiated.

A completion condition for the flow activity is needed for scenarios where not all concurrent activities of a flow activity must complete in order the flow activity to complete. Note: We are not talking about "successful completion" of enclosed concurrent activities because that would not be consistent with the semantics of the current flow activity.

The completion condition may have different flavors, such as:

(1) N out of M

(2) The two most important requests completed

(3) A Boolean condition operating upon process variables

Not all activities must complete in order the enclosing flow activity to complete. The way to identify that an enclosed activity did not complete is to propagate faults. We may distinguish between severe faults and those that can be ignored. Severe faults cause the enclosing flow activity (or more precisely, enclosing scope) to terminate the flow activity, including all active concurrent activities, and corresponding fault handler may be initiated. Other faults may be ignored - the flow activity is "informed" that a concurrent activity did not complete but still allows other active concurrent activities to continue with execution.

Ignore semantics

=================

Faults thrown within enclosed concurrent activities/scopes and not handled by local fault handlers are rethrown. Enclosing <flow> element decides which of these rethrown faults can be ignored. This new "ignore" semantics should be part of the completion condition and should apply to all enclosed activities. This new semantics does not introduce a new fault handling mechanism. It is needed for identifying how many of the enclosed activities failed.

Proposed syntax

================

<flow standard-attributes>

   standard-elements

   <completionCondition/>?

   <links>?

      <link name="ncname">+

   </links>

   activity+

</flow>

<completionCondition>

   <conditions branch="xsd:integer"?

               expression=xpath?/>?

   <ignoreFaults>?

      <fault name="qname"? value="ncname"?/>*

      <ignoreAll/>?

   </ignoreFaults>

</completionCondition>

Attribute branch is used to specify a condition of flavor "wait for /N/ out of /M/ activities to complete", or more precisely value N. Attribute expression is used to specify a Boolean condition operating upon process variables or a condition of flavor "the two most important requests completed".

Both conditions ( branch and expression) may be specified at the same time. They will be checked when one instance of the scope activity reaches the end. If at least one condition evaluates to true all active instances will be terminated.

Element <ignoreFaults> specifies faults that may be ignored. Element fault is used to specify a fault which may be ignored (fault name and fault data may be specified). Element <ignoreAll> would mean that all faults thrown/rethrown by any concurrent activity/scope may be ignored. If this element is specified <fault> element must be omitted.

Completion condition failure

=============================

A new standard fault, e.g. completionConditionFailure, should be introduced to notify that the completion condition of a flow activity evaluated to false (note: all concurrent activities have been completed). The fault is thrown in the scope enclosing the flow element.

Completion condition and links

==============================

There should be no difference between a flow activity with a completion condition and a flow activity without completion condition. For example, if the completion condition fails all links leaving the flow activity should have value "false" (or be reverted to a negative status).

There are just a few additional rules:

(1) Let's assume enclosed activity A is the source of a link. If the completion condition evaluates to true and activity A is not completed it will be terminated and the value of the link will be set to "false".

(2) Let's assume enclosed activity A is the source of a link and the activity failed but the fault is "ignored" by the enclosing flow activity. The value of the link will be set to "false".

New function for completion condition of flavor "the two most important requests completed"

For completion conditions of flavor "the two most important requests completed" standard attribute "name" must be specified for all enclosing activities in order to be able to distinguish them. In addition a new function, e.g. isCompleted('activityName') must be introduced. The semantics of the function is: if activity completed successfully the function returns value true.

Example

    <completionCondition expression=

           "isCompleted('A') AND isCompleted('B')"
     </completionConditions>