Subject: RE: [wsbpel] An amendment to the proposal for issue 103

Please see below.
Ugo

Not really. The MTOM messaging model has to deal with things like the
SOAP processing model, SOAP intermediaries, HTTP binding, etc. that
simply do not exist in the context of BPEL variables.

> I would find it bizarre for
> us to do something along those lines in BPEL, especially
> considering the amount of trouble and headache that MTOM
> caused in the WSDL world.

Not clear what you are referring to as "trouble and headache", so I
cannot say whether those issues would apply to our context.

> When we attach BPEL to WSDL 2.0 in
> the next generation, the MTOM infoset model for message data
> would be available to us automatically, and at that point
> having a legacy of "our own version" would be an even bigger headache.

You make it sound like BPEL automatically inherits any WSDL model. That
in fact is not the case because, again, WSDL's scope is limited to what
happens on the wire.
BPEL currently does not say anything precise about the mapping from WSDL
to the BPEL language and vice-versa (compare that to JAX-RPC, which
devotes a big portion of the spec just to define the WSDL/Java mapping).
I think Alex and Yaron's proposal addresses exactly that missing
mapping.