Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Re: [wsbpel-spec-edit] Editing team issue - EventHandler und Concurrency?

Exactly.  Thanks Paco.  I meant to reply but it slipped  through the
many cracks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Francisco Curbera [mailto:curbera@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:37 PM
To: ygoland@bea.com
Cc: Dieter Koenig1; Satish Thatte; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org;
wsbpel-spec-edit@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Re: [wsbpel-spec-edit] Editing team issue -
EventHandler und Concurrency?

I think Satish was referring to engine managed EPRs, not correlations.
As I
understand 139 it is about how the engine will manage the binding of
partner links. This is somewhat related but different and much more
generic
than the problem Dieter raised: the possible violation of the "at most
one"
outstanding request constraint by concurrently executing event handlers.

Paco

                      "Yaron Y. Goland"

                      <ygoland@bea.com>        To:       Dieter Koenig1
<dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com>

                                               cc:       Satish Thatte
<satisht@microsoft.com>, Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,

                      01/21/2005 06:48
wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, wsbpel-spec-edit@lists.oasis-open.org

                      PM                       Subject:  Re: [wsbpel]
Re: [wsbpel-spec-edit] Editing team issue -  EventHandler und
Concurrency?
                      Please respond to

                      ygoland

Huh? Where did engine managed correlations come from? Please review my
letter on 1/20/2005 included below. It states, I thought, quite clearly
exactly what issue I thought you may be addressing and explains why I
object to the currently proposed language. No where in there did I mean
to address or even imply anything about engine managed correlations.

             Now I'm just confused,

                         Yaron

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:

> This is correct, it was not meant to be linked to 139.
> Kind Regards
> DK
>

>              "Satish Thatte"

>              <satisht@microsof

>              t.com>
>                                        <ygoland@bea.com>

>              20.01.2005 14:39
cc
>                                        "Francisco Curbera"

>                                        <curbera@us.ibm.com>,

<wsbpel-spec-edit@lists.oasis-open.
>                                        org>,

>                                        <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>,

>                                        Dieter
Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE

Subject
>                                        RE: [wsbpel] Re:
[wsbpel-spec-edit]
>                                        Editing team issue -
EventHandler

wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
> [...]
> section
>  >  > 13.5.7. "Concurrency Considerations" (for event handlers).
>  >  >
>  >  > Consider an event handler with a request-response operation. The
>  >  > "constraint that there can be at most one outstanding
synchronous
>  > request
>  >  > on a given partner link at a given port type and operation"
implies
>  > that a
>  >  > second request has to be rejected with a standard fault
>  >  > "conflictingRequest" as long as a first request is being
processed.
>  >  >
>  >  > This does not fit to the other statement "individual onEvent
event
>  > handlers
>  >  > are permitted to have several simultaneously active instances".
>  >  >
>  >  > *--
>  >  >
>  >  > After a short mail discussion between Dieter, Satish and myself
we
>  > agreed
>  >  > that this looked like a text clarification more than a real
issue,
> and
>  > that
>  >  > it would be better for the editor's team to handle is. The
proposed
>  > change
>  >  > would affect the second paragraph in Section 13.5.7 would be as
> shown
>  >  > below. If nobody objects (please speak up!) I would like to have
> this
>  >  > directly handled by the editor's team.
>  >  >
>  >  > -> Change from:
>  >  >
>  >  > Note that, unlike onAlarm event handlers, individual onEvent
event
>  > handlers
>  >  > are permitted to have several simultaneously active instances.
>  > private
>  >  > copy of all process data and control behavior defined within an
> event
>  >  > handler is provided to each instance of an event handler.  This
>  > includes
>  >  > the behavior of links defined within an event handler.  Each
> instance
>  > of
>  >  > the event handler must independently evaluate the status of the
> link
>  > as
>  >  > needed.
>  >  >
>  >  > -> To:
>  >  >
>  >  > Note that, unlike onAlarm event handlers, individual onEvent
event
>  > handlers
>  >  > are permitted to have several simultaneously active instances.
The

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgr
>  > oup.php.
>  >