Subject: Re: AW: [wsbpel] Issue 136 - Proposal For Vote

Hi,

I don't like <switch> very much, because its semantics is
different from C/C++/Java switch in that:
* the case conditions are not constants in BPEL
* cases won't "fall-through" in BPEL

I think <switch> is semantically much closer to if-elseif-else.
Accordingly, I would like to counter-propose the following.

----BEGIN----

1. Rename "switch" to "branch".
2. Rename the first "case" to "if" and second and later to
    "elseif".
3. Rename "otherwise" to "else".

Then we have the following:

<branch standard-attributes>
   standard-elements
   <if>
       <condition expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>expr</condition>
       activity
   </if>
   <elseif>*
       <condition expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>expr</condition>
       activity
   </elseif>
   <else>?
     activity
   </else>
</branch>

Pros:
<> Should look familiar to arguably wider audience.
<> Smallest impact on existing implementation. Just renaming should do.

Cons:
<> The root element <branch> is somewhat ugly, especially when
    neither <elseif> nor <else> is written. (Can be mitigated
    by better word choice. Do you have any idea?)

Yuzo
NEC Corporation