Subject: Issue 126 - Proposal For Vote

Issue 126 - Event Handlers with local partnerLinks & Correlation Sets

Disclaimer: This proposal is contingent on my propose for 139 passing

Proposal: Add the ability to declare correlation sets inside of an
onEvent handler for use within a specific onEvent instance.

Rationale: Issue 126 brought up two questions. The first question was
based on my assumption that partnerRoles are used to filter incoming
messages on receives/picks/onEvent handlers. My proposal for issue 139
would make that assumption invalid and so remove my first question.
	My second question had to do with correlation set initialization on
event handlers. In some cases, such as the example I gave in the issue
list, we want to be able to have a correlation set whose value is local
to a single event handler instance.

Section 13.5.1

From: The usage and interpretation of correlation is exactly the same as
for receive activities.

To: The usage and interpretation of correlation is exactly the same as
for receive activities with the addition that it is possible to declare
correlation sets locally to an onEvent handler instance.  Those locally
declared correlation sets can then be used as part of onEvent’s receive.
For example:

…
    <eventHandlers>
       <onEvent partnerLink=”travelAgency”
          portType=”ns:agent”
          operation=”travelUpdate”
          messageType=”ns:travelStatsUpdate”
          variable=”travelUpdate”>
           <correlationSets>
              <correlationSet name=”updateCode” properties=”ns:updateCode”/>
          </correlationSets>
          <correlations>
             <correlation set=”travelCode” initialize=”no”/>
             <correlation set=”updateCode” initialize=”yes”/>
          </correlations>
          …
    </eventHandlers>
…

In this example a process is managing travel reservations for a customer
and needs to handle reservation updates from the travel booking system.
The onEvent handler is used to receive the update messages which are
correlated using the travelCode property, which is defined and
initialized elsewhere in the process. However sometimes the event
handler needs to contact the travel booking system to follow up on an
update message. To do that the outgoing message needs both the value in
the travelCode property but also the value in an update code included in
the travel update message. This is where the updateCode correlation set,
declared locally to the onEvent handler comes in. When the update
message is received the updateCode correlation set is initialized and
its value made available only to the onEvent handler instance.

The BNF for eventHandlers needs to be updated in sections 6.2 and 13.5
to the following:
<eventHandlers>?
<!-- Note: There must be at least one onEvent or onAlarm handler. -->
       <onEvent partnerLink="ncname" portType="qname"?
	operation="ncname" messageType="qname" variable="ncname"
         messageExchange="ncname"? >*
*                 <correlationSets>?
*                       <correlationSet name="ncname"
properties="qname-list"/>+
*                 </correlationSets>
	      <correlations>?
		<correlation set="ncname"
			initiate="yes|rendezvous|no"?/>+
	      </correlations>
		activity
	</onEvent>
	<onAlarm>*
	  ( <for expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>duration-expr</for> |
	    <until expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>deadline-expr</until> )?
	    <repeatEvery
expressionLanguage="anyURI"?>duration-expr</repeatEvery>?	    activity
	</onAlarm>
</eventHandlers>