Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 29 - Proposal For Vote

Yaron Y. Goland wrote:

> I realize I'm being thick but I don't believe the sections you quote
> solve the problem. The key issue is - is there such a thing as an
> empty node in XPATH? I believe the answer to be no.

I believe the answer is found in the XPath data model specification:

"Document Nodes *must* satisfy the following constraints.

   1.

      The *children* *must* consist exclusively of Element, Processing
      Instruction, Comment, and Text Nodes if it is not empty.
      Attribute, namespace, and Document Nodes can never appear as children

   2.

      If a node /N/ is among the *children* of a Document Node /D/, then
      the *parent* of /N/ *must* be /D/.

   3.

      If a node /N/ has a *parent* Document Node /D/, then /N/ *must* be
      among the *children* of /D/."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#DocumentNode

You may also want to look at XPath implementations to see what they
accept as context node as part of their formal API. I will be interested
in hearing of an implementation that doesn't accept an empty context
node.  For example, the Java 1.5 XPath library:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/xml/xpath/package-summary.html

(you can see the example at the bottom)

> An alternative argument is - is there such a thing as an empty
> node-list in XPATH? There I think the answer is potentially yes. But
> it isn't clear to me if an empty node-list can be legally used as a
> context for an expression because all de-references would be illegal.
> E.g. /foo would be an automatic fault but "/" would NOT. That worries
> me alot. I think it's misleading to allow "/" to work but "/foo" not
> to. I think it's better for users if we just ban "/".

I don't know of many implementations that support a node-set as an
evaluation context, and I wouldn't want to rely on anything that's
implementation specific.

Assaf

> [...]
>>  >>> properties as independent XPATH variables since this would let us
>>  >>> get rid of getVariableProperty.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Rationale:
>>  >>>
>> getVariableProperty(getVariableProperty(foo,bar),getVariableProperty(ick,bick))
>>
>>  >>> is completely legal in XPATH. This is a problem because such an
>>  >>> expression makes it impossible to statically analyze the expression
>>  >>> that contains the function call and determine what variable is
>> being
>>  >>> referenced. This is problematic for static analysis of the process
>>  >>> because it makes it impossible to determine what variable and
>>  >>> property are being accessed so there is no way to check if that
>>  >>> variable is accessible from that point in the BPEL process
>>  >>> definition or if the variable has the referenced property
>> defined on
>>  >>> it. Even worse (in my mind anyway) is that the previous plays havoc
>>  >>> with optimizations for compensation handling. If the previous
>>  >>> function was contained within a compensation handler then there
>>  >>> would be no way to know what variable was being accessed and so the
>>  >>> BPEL process would have no choice but to persist all variables
>>  >>> visible from the compensation handler, major yuck!
>>  >>>     We have in the past altered XPATH in order to suit our needs.
>>  >>> For example, in some BPEL expressions we have banned the use of the
>>  >>> global context node, a node whose presence is actually mandated by
>>  >>> the XPATH specification. If we are willing to change XPATH that
>> much
>>  >>> I see no reason not to change it here as well. In for a dime, in
>> for
>>  >>> a dollar.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Section 9.1 -
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Add a new paragraph after the following paragraph "Any qualified
>>  >>> names used within XPath expressions are resolved by using namespace
>>  >>> declarations currently in scope in the WS-BPEL document at the
>>  >>> location of the expression.":
>>  >>>
>>  >>> The arguments to all XPATH functions defined in this specification
>>  >>> MUST be given as quoted strings. The previous requirement MUST be
>>  >>> statically enforced. It is therefore illegal to pass into a BPEL
>>  >>> XPATH function any XPATH variables, the output of XPATH
>> functions, a
>>  >>> XPATH location path or any other value that is not a quoted string.
>>  >>> This means, for example, that getVariableProperty("varA","propB")
>>  >>> meets the previous requirement while
>>  >>>
>> getVariableProperty($varA,string(getVariableProperty("varB","propB"))
>>  >>> does not. Note that the previous requirement institutes a
>>  >>> restriction which does not exist in the XPATH standard.

begin:vcard
fn:Assaf Arkin
n:Arkin;Assaf
org:Intalio
adr;dom:;;1000 Bridge Parkway Ste 210;Redwood City;CA;94065
email;internet:arkin@intalio.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(650) 596-1800
x-mozilla-html:TRUE