Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Proposal For Vote

I think that COPY has some minimal utility for a few key scenarios but I
do not believe it is or was ever intended to be a generic data
manipulation language. Copy, as Satish has pointed out, was really
intended to just enable a few very limited scenarios having to do with
things like assigning partnerLinks EPRs and copying message parts.

As for XUPDATE, either they will take forever because updating XML is
hard and we should therefore not be taking it on ourselves. Or, they
won't take forever because the subject is tractable, in which case we
should let them get on with it and not take it on ourselves.

Also, XUPDATE isn't the only language available that can manipulate
arbitrary XML structures. XSLT, Java, Python, C, C# and so on are all
able to manipulate arbitrary XML structures. It is preferable to define
bindings to those languages than to turn BPEL into a generic programming
language. As for where to standardize such bindings? There are many
choices but OASIS would be an obvious one.

	Thanks,

		Yaron