Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 200 - Proposal For Vote

Indeed, control dependencies generated by structured activities must be taken into account in this rule.

The idea of using the notion of control dependencies here seems OK, but I think we should avoid the expression "all activities A have completed" since some of these activities might not be executed at all (and thus we cannot talk about the the activities being "completed").

Also, by the same token I suggest to document the reason why this rule is being introduced. So I propose a variation over Dieter's proposal:

"If, during the performance of structured activity S,
the semantics of S dictate that activity X nested within S
will not be performed as part of the behavior of S,
the status of all outgoing links from X is set to negative.

 In order to avoid violating control dependencies, this step
 is performed only after all of X's incoming links and all
 incoming links of any activity A upon which X has a control
 dependency, have been determined.
<<<
An example >>> where this rule applies <<< is an activity within
a branch that is not taken in a switch activity, or activities that
were not completed in a scope in which processing was halted due to a
fault, including a bpws:joinFailure (see Scopes and Compensation
Handlers)."

[Note that I also slightly modified the beginning of the last sentence of the paragraph in order to maintain the articulation between sentences.]

Regards

marlon