Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 111 - Proposal For Vote

Hi Chris,

+1 to your reminder of adding Frank Leymann's suggestion as well.

Maybe, I can provide another potentially friendly amendent to address Frank Leyman's concern. Just a simple change from "MAY" to "MUST" can be misunderstood (as those optional element MUST be used).

FROM:
------------------------------------
The contents of an extensibleActivity element MUST be a single element that MAY have BPEL's standard-attributes and standard-elements defined on it.
------------------------------------

TO:
------------------------------------
The contents of an <extensionActivityWrapper> element MUST be a single element that MUST be compatible with the syntax of a BPEL activity, which has optional standard-attributes and standard-elements defined on.
------------------------------------

Chris, I hope that is good enough to you. :-)

BTW, regarding to your XSD suggestion, there may be a few of things that will not work. Because, the complex type extension your mentioned is actually a "NO-OP" extension. That is:
<element name="extensibleActivity" type="bpws:tExtensibleActivity"/>
is effectively equivalent to:
<element name="extensibleActivity" type="bpws:tActivity"/>

That is:  <extensibleActivity> is EXACTLY like <empty> but with just another element name.

That means it does not allow people to add any new sub-elements or attributes under "extensibleActivity". That will give us a lot of restriction in terms of syntax design. Particularly, we may be forced to use global attribute declaration.

Chris Keller wrote:
Hi Yaron,

I like Frank Leymann's suggestion of changing the MAY to MUST in "MAY have
BPEL's standard...".  Couldn't we enforce that with a schema definition like
the following?

<element name="extensibleActivity" type="bpws:tExtensibleActivity"/>

<complexType name="tExtensibleActivity">
   <complexContent>
       <extension base="bpws:tActivity"/>
   </complexContent>
</complexType>

And then based on the 92.* rules you can either process the contents of the
extensible activity or you can't.

- Chris