Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 157 - Proposal For Vote

Satish,

    This simplication was raised, in a slightly more general form, as
issue 48, which was closed with no changes to the spec. If I recall
correctly, transformation support was dismissed as a form of external
service, so <invoke> is the right way to do transformation. The
"heavyweight" invocation of a service to perform such transformations
was not considered to be impractical. Also, there was a sizeable group
in the TC that disliked XSLT.

    Given our recent foray into XML manipulation (<assign> and <copy>),
we doubtless have developed a better appreciation of XSLT and similar
technologies. I certainly agree that we should not reinvent the wheel
here, which <copy> seems dangerously close to doing.

    Are we prepared to revisit issue 48? It is NOT marked as revistable,
so we would need to take the unpopular course of reopening a closed
issue. I believe circumstances have changed, and it would be appropriate
to revisit this issue in the context of 157.

-Ron