Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 157 - Proposal For Vote

Alex has pointed out various technical difficulties he sees with using XSLT to resolve 157, privately to some of us at the F2F.  The principal one being that XSLT templates costruct new XML documents rather than update existing ones.  According to Alex, doing anything else requires non-standard usage of XSLT.  I am no XSLT expert so I am looking for confirmation or otherwise of Alex's position.  If he is right then we are stuck with doing 157 as far as I can see.  I would much prefer not to add features to BPEL for any XML data manipulation, but we have assignment/copy today and we have voted not to remove them so the only other option is to find a way to use some existing XML data manipulation spec as normative with the usual extensibility.  XPath is what we have used in copy but that seems to require the sort of xII rules that the current 157 proposals specify.

If someone has a simpler way to resolve this I am all ears.

Satish

________________________________

From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Fri 6/3/2005 9:28 AM
To: Danny van der Rijn
Cc: Satish Thatte; Charlton Barreto; wsbpeltc

I wouldn't rule out that we closed issue 48 because the scope was a bit
more generic, and from the issue list, apparently because 13 solves the
problem. So given issue 13 you can incorporate XSLT into BPEL as a
proprietary extension.

The problem we're facing is how to handle simple assignments as a
normalized part of the spec, which 48/13 do not cover. I, for one, am
not interested in re-inventing the wheel, so in this particular context
I have no problem revisiting issue 48 or resolving this as part of issue
157, whichever is more convenient.

Assaf