Subject: Re: Fw: [wsbpel] Issue - 157 - conf call brief recap ... and carryforward ...

Yes, +1 to what Chris just said.

That's why there are "Replace-Element-properties" (RE) vs "Replace-Content" (RC) differentiation defined in the "F2F-Table".

Chris Keller wrote:
I think if you define REPLACE as replace contents, then we start to lift the
ambiguity and get to the heart of Alex's table.  So viewing <a> as a
container for its contents implies that referencing <a> is really referring
to its contents both in the <to> and <from> clauses.

- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Rania Khalaf [mailto:rkhalaf@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 3:47 PM
To: Alex Yiu
Cc: chris.keller@active-endpoints.com; rkhalaf@us.ibm.com; 'Charlton
Barreto'; 'wsbpeltc'; jwillis@exchange.microsoft.com
Subject: Re: Fw: [wsbpel] Issue - 157 - conf call brief recap ... and carry
forward ...

So then, it is the case that part of the confusion and  why we are
discussing a table for 157 is that it is ambiguous in the 'to' what
exactly is the location the designer wishes to copy to:
In my example I want to copy 'into' the child of <a/> but <to/> only
lets me point at all of <a/> and copy semantics are usually REPLACE not
ADD CHILD.

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi Rania,
(and Chris)

To avoid confusion, I guess it would be better to answer Rania's
question with a full example.

*[Clarification-#1]*
Say you have an element-based variable: "v1" of "foo:barElem" which
has the following content:
<foo:bar> <a/> </foo:bar>

I expect the following <assign> will create a selectionFailure fault.
------------------------
<assign>
</assign>
------------------------

On the other hand,  I expect the following <assign> will NOT create a
selectionFailure fault.
------------------------
<assign>
</assign>
------------------------

Based on the "F2F-table", I expect the <copy> will replace the empty
content of <a> with the string content of "123". That was the
ReplaceContent entry.

*[Clarification-#2]*

Regarding to Chris' precaution warning on 3 text nodes cases:
I want to clarify it further with 2 examples. For XPath compliant
implementation, adjacement text nodes will be merged as one text node.
See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-Text-Nodes

E.g.:
<foo:bar> <a>123<![CDATA[456]]>789</a> </foo:bar>

I expect "$v1/a/text()" will return one text node ("123456789") for
the above data.

<foo:bar> <a>123<dummy1 /><![CDATA[456]]><dummy2 />789</a> </foo:bar>

On the other hand, I expect "$v1/a/text()" will return 3 text nodes,
because they are not separated by <dummy1/> and <dummy2/>.

Chris Keller wrote:

Hi Rania,

It would result in a selectionFailure as there are no text nodes beneath
element a. Also in other cases you may end up with more than one text node
which could cause a selectionFaiilure. For example using CDATA for part of
an elements text to avoid escaping characters, the following case may

return

3 text nodes:

<a>
<![CDATA[...bunch of characters I don't want to escape...]]>
</a>

- Chris