Subject: Re: Fw: [wsbpel] Issue - 157 - conf call brief recap ... and carryforward ...

Chris Keller wrote:

Hi Ron,

Right, you would also have child elements separating the text (as per Alex’s elaboration of my example, thanks Alex).  What I was getting at is that there are many cases where /a/b/text() would produce more than one text node (or zero) and produce a selectionFailure.

On your second point…  Hmmm, I am not sure what you mean by target variable.  Do you mean the result of the <to>, which could be an EII, AII or TII?

My apologies; what I meant was "target variable infoset item," or, put another (and as your surmised), the result the <to>.

  If so then I think we are on the same page and yes I agree with your statement.  It shows why the replace part of the <copy> description should be described as replace contents, since you treat the return of <to> as a variable of some xml type itself.  If I have an element of type xsd:int and an attribute of type xsd:int, I should be able to copy from that source element to that attribute or vice versa.  This is at the heart of the table that Alex produced.

I think we converging. One point of clarification, however: Alex's nifty table actually doesn't reflect XML Schema types, only infoset item types. This avoids the problem of type conversion that was giving Yaron headaches (which Yaron readily shared, BTW :-). XPath datatypes aren't quite the same as XML schema simple types. The rules accompanying Alex's table cover the use of simple-typed variables, specifying conversion between XPath types and TII. Assignment to a simple-typed variable can cause a bpws:mismatchedAssignmentFailure fault if the source TII can't be converted appropriately.

Regardless, I believe we've answered Rania's original question.

-Ron