Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 217 - Need new name for <compensate>

Sorry, I accidentally hit the send button before I finished my last sentence. :-)
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Alex Yiu wrote:

Hi, Yaron and Danny,

Even though I would not oppose renaming <compensate /> to something else.
(e.g. <compensateChildScopes /> ) to avoid any further confusion. (Because, one of my customers got confused also.)

But, there was a major misunderstanding in the issue description expressed by Yaron:
"The semantics of <compensate/> are to call the local compensation handler for the enclosing scope."

That is incorrect.

<compensate /> serves a higher level activity which calls the compensation handlers of all completed CHILD scopes in the compensation order as specified by Issue 1 and 10. Vaguely speaking, one  (Satish was the main driver of these 2 issues, while Nick and I were the major backer of those 2 issues as well as IBM folks).

Only activity in faultHandler/terminationHandler/compensation of parent scope can call the compensation handler.

Example to clarify:
--------------------------
<scope name="A">
    <faultHandler>
          <catch ... >
             <sequence>
                   <compensate />
                   <invoke ... />
                   <!-- invoke some extra operations
                        as a part of fault logic -->

             </sequence>
          </catch>
    </faultHandler>
    <compensateHandler>
       <sequence>
             <compensate />
             <invoke ... />
             <!-- invoke some extra operations
                  as a part of compensation logic -->
       </sequence>
    </compensateHandler>
    <sequence>
        <scope name="B">
        </scope>
        <scope name="C">
        </scope>

    </sequence>
</scope>
--------------------------

The <compensate/> in the fault handler and compensation handler of scope "A" will invoke the compensationHander of scope "C" and scope "B" (if they are completed.) The <compensationHandler> of  scope "A" will NOT get touched by the <compensate /> activities in scope "A".

I hope that clarifies the picture.

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
+1.  We would also need to clarify in the schema and spec text when each of these is allowed, as currently, I believe that there are cases when one should be allowed, but not the other.

Danny

ws-bpel issues list editor wrote:
This issue has been added to the wsbpel issue list with a status of "received". The status will be changed to "open" if the TC accepts it as identifying a bug in the spec or decides it should be accepted specially. Otherwise it will be closed without further consideration (but will be marked as "Revisitable")

The issues list is posted as a Technical Committee document to the OASIS WSBPEL TC pages <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel> on a regular basis. The current edition, as a TC document, is the most recent version of the document entitled ** in the "Issues" folder of the WSBPEL TC document list <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/documents.php> - the next posting as a TC document will include this issue. The list editor's working copy, which will normally include an issue when it is announced, is available at this constant URL <http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html>.

    Issue - 217 - Need new name for <compensate>

*Status:* received
*Date added:* 8 Jun 2005
*Categories:* Compensation <#category_compensation>
*Date submitted:* 07 June 2005
*Submitter:* Yaron Y. Goland <mailto:ygoland@bea.com>
*Description:* The semantics of <compensate/> are to call the local compensation handler for the enclosing scope, an activity that can occur even in a fault handler. The semantics of <compensate scope=".."/> is to call the installed compensation handler on a successfully completed child scope. The semantics of these two actions are very different but they share the same activity name which leads to confusion.
*Submitter’s proposal:* I would propose splitting these into two activities. <defaultCompensate> and <compensate scope="..."/>.
*Changes:* 8 Jun 2005 - new issue

To comment on this issue (including whether it should be accepted), please follow-up to this announcement on the wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org list (replying to this message should automatically send your message to that list), or ensure the subject line as you send it *starts* "Issue - 217 - [anything]" or is a reply to such a message. If you want to formally propose a resolution to an open issue, please start the subject line "Issue - 217 - Proposed resolution", without any Re: or similar.

To add a new issue, see the issues procedures document (but the address for new issue submission is the sender of this announcement).

Choreology Anti virus scan completed