Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 88 - Proposal to vote

Hi Yaron,

That is fine with me, although I am not completely sure what possible
confusion you have in mind. Would you mind writing the clarification text
you think that paragraph needs?

Paco

                      "Yaron Y. Goland"
                      <ygoland@bea.com>        To:       Francisco Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
                      08/03/2005 11:12         Subject:  Re: [wsbpel] Issue 88 - Proposal to vote
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ygoland

I like the change.

In the last sentence I think you want to say "not" rather than "no". I
also think this sentence itself needs some expansion because a naive
reader would think this means that imported WSDLs or Schemas can't
import anything themselves. When what we really mean is that IF an item
is required by BPEL THEN it MUST be directly imported but that imported
item could itself depend on other items that were transitively imported.
I know this distinction has caused confusion in other standards and I
think we should make it painfully clear in our standard.

             Thanks,

                         Yaron

Francisco Curbera wrote:

> [...]
import
> element without  a namespace attribute indicates that external
definitions
> are in use which are not namespace qualified.
>
> - location. The location attribute contains a URI indicating the location
> of a document that contains relevant definitions in the namespace
> specified. The location URI may be a relative URI, following the usual
> rules for resolution of the URI base (XML Base and RFC 2396). The
location
> attribute is optional. An import element without a location attribute
> indicates that external definitions are used by the process but makes no
> statement about where those definitions may be found. The document
located
> at the location URI MUST identify the definitions it contains with a URI
> matching the URI indicated by the namespace attribute.
>
> - importType. The importType attribute identifies the type of document
> being imported by providing an absolute URI that identifies the encoding
> language used in the document. The value of the importType attribute MUST
> be set to "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; when importing XML Schema
1.0
> documents, and to "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"; when importing WSDL
> 1.1 documents.
>
> Observe that according to these rules, it is permissible to have an
import
> element without namespace and location attributes, and only containing an
> importType attribute. Such an import element indicates that external
> definitions of the indicated type are in use which are not namespace
> qualified, and makes no statement about where those definitions may be
> found.
>
> The presence of an <import> element should be interpreted as an
> informational hint to the WS-BPEL processor. In particular, processors
are
> not required to retrieve the imported document from the location
specified
> on the <import> element. Import elements are conceptually unordered. It
is
> an error if the imported documents contain conflicting definitions of a
> component used by the importing process definition (as could be caused,
for
> example, when the XSD redefinition mechanism is used).
>
> A BPEL process definition MUST import all XML Schema and WSDL definitions
> it uses. This includes all XML Schema type and element definitions, all
> WSLD port types and message types as well as property and property alias
> definitions used by the process.
>
> Schema definitions defined in the types section of a WSDL document which
is
> imported by a BPEL process definition are considered to be effectively
> imported themselves and are available to the process for the purpose of
> defining XML Schema variables. However, documents (or namespaces)
imported