Subject: Issue 82.2 - clarifying the description

A while ago, it was noted on one of the calls that the description for issue 82.2,  Abstract base as a profile, wasn't actually aligned with the previous discussion that occurred when it was opened as part of resolving 82.  I did some follow up with the folks who were most active on the resolution of 82 (Monica, Alex, Nick, Peter, Rania, Ron, and Charleton) to make sure they had similar views on what had been decided and how it should be represented on the issues list.  As a result, thanks to Monica, we now have a write up of the history and a proposal to revise the description on the issues list.  If there are no objections, we'd like to proceed with this after the meeting this week.
Thanks.
Regards, Diane
IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709

----- Forwarded by Diane Jordan/Raleigh/IBM on 08/08/2005 05:01 PM -----
Monica J Martin <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>

07/29/2005 06:14 PM

Diane Jordan/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, jevdemon@microsoft.com
cc
Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>, Nickolas Kavantzas <nickolas.kavantzas@oracle.com>, "Furniss, Peter" <Peter.Furniss@choreology.com>, Rania Khalaf/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Ron Ten-Hove <Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM>, Charlton Barreto <cbarreto@adobe.com>
Subject
Jordan/Evdemon 7/29/2005: Clarifying 82.2 and Update to BPEL Issues List

As requested by Diane. I'd like to take action on this as soon as
possible and post the description to the TC list.

=======
Issue 82.2

Short historical summary: For Issue 82, we opened several subissues
during the development of the concepts and proposed specification
language. Originally, several questions were asked about the common base
for abstract processes, and other related profiles. I myself asked about
the common base and if a profile may be needed. Issue 82 concept and
text also identified a process template as another profile use case. At
that time (and even before in the subgroup), a process template was seen
as one of the possible additional profiles that could be considered and
added. In Germany, earlier this year, we explicitly discussed a process
template as one of the abstract process profile use cases and specific
companies expressed interest. [1] The definition of a process template
profile is also consistent with the coordinated draft paper completed by
the previous BPEL subgroup where the Import Pattern recognized its
utility and use.

When Issue 82.2, was created, there were several ideas under discussion
related to use cases, profiles, the common base, capabilty to express in
one schema, syntactic rules, etc. Issue 82.2 was opened to allow
development of an additional profile (whether it was a process template
or common base) as ideas weren't yet formalized. In line with what
process we have used in recent months, I recommend we make descriptive
clarification to Issue 82.2 to allow for the development of another
profile whether it be for the common base, the process template or
other. This descriptive change is consistent with how we handled a
descriptive change to Issue 207. [2]

Current Issue 82 Title and Text
Title: Abstract base as a profile
Arising from resolution of 82 - see the text for 15.4 and "Related items
agreed on .. " at end of Rania Khalaf, 13 Apr 2005
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200504/msg00090.html>

15.4 [optional, left open as part of 82] Abstract Process Profile for …
• Reworking of the other profile that has been asked for, but is still awaiting vote.

   It is left open whether another profile will be defined in the
   specification that is identical to the base. If so, it will be given
   a URI to identify it and added. It is suggested that a separate, new
   issue XX be opened for this. The dependency (by allowed closing
   order) of these three issues is: 82, XX, 158.

Should a profile be defined that is is identical to the base. If so, it
will be given a URI to identify it.

Proposed Issue 82 Title and Text
Title: Another abstract usage profile
Arising from resolution of 82 - see the text for 15.4 and "Related items
agreed on .. " at end of Rania Khalaf, 13 Apr 2005
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200504/msg00090.html>

15.4 [optional, left open as part of 82] Abstract Process Profile for …
• Reworking of the other profile that has been asked for, but is still awaiting vote.

   This subissue can support the definition of another profile such as
   one identical to the base or another usage such as a process
   template. Should more than one profile need to be developed, a
   separate new subissue should be opened. Should a profile be defined,
   it will be given a URI to identify it. The dependency (by allowed
   closing order) of these three issues is: 82, XX, 158.

[1] Germany minutes specify we would allow definition of another profile
and process template was discussed. See particularly comments from Paco
Curdera and Satish Thatte.
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/download.php/12073/Minutes%20Mar%208%20to%2010.htm#_Toc99816138
[2] Reference Issue 207 where the description was revised, issue owner:
Yaron Goland.