Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Question: short-lived process for BPEL ?

Hi, Yanming,

It is much more than that. You need to be aware some critical limitations in current BPEL for Telco process.

For example, Telco process is generally “session” based, and there is no structure or concept of “session” in BPEL. One fundamental issue related to this is described in Issue 6.2 of current WSBPEL issue list, i.e. no good control of parallel processes in BPEL.

As a consequence, if a Telco process started a typical contact session including parallel contact processes, e.g. phone call + IM, then unless the contact responds successfully in both phone and IM, which is unlikely and not necessary since one is enough, the BPEL process can not exit successfully and will result in Fault. But in Telco process, if you get one response, either phone or IM, the contact session is successfully completed and the Telco process will move on normally.

We hope Issue 6.2 can be addressed properly in WSBPEL 2.0, and we found it to be one of the most frustrating places of using BPEL for Telco process. This is a generic issue and applicable to other applications as well, since controlling parallel processes should be fundamental in BPEL.

You should give it a try. The more we use BPEL, the more we know where it needs to be improved.

---- Wu Chou.

Wu Chou, Ph.D.  | Technical Manager, Dialogue System Research Group | Avaya | 233 Mt. Airy Road| Rm. 2D34 | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 | Voice/Fax: 908-696-5198 / 908-696-5401 | wuchou@avaya.com