Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 11 - Proposed Resolution for 10/19 meeting

Chris Keller wrote:

Ron,

Even if there is no direct must directive in the specification there are implied musts.  The example of an implementation must do something with regard to WSDL and Schema handling is one.  On the level of the expression languages we have an implied must. The expression language handlers must be able to return a list of variables it will access so that a scope can be properly isolated.  This is true because isolated scopes are mandated by the specification.  As for the new transform function call there are many ways to implement this implied contract.  But I think we should be mindful to the fact that isolated scopes are designed to be deadlock free and so implementations which don’t cache the stylesheet it processed for variable identification could be hazardous.  Now as a user if I want to make a change to the stylesheet I have to do it in a way that the BPEL processor knows to refresh itself.

Yes. Years ago I worked on a workflow engine that allowed for dynamic updates to process definitions. Despite many hours of research, we never discovered a general mechanism for on-the-fly upgrading of in-flight process instances. Instead we kept to a strict "version stickiness" scheme, where process instances included the process type & version in their state data.

Even seemingly trivial changes to a process definition gave rise to a host of issues, making on-the-fly upgrades problematic. I'd suggest that dynamic changes to a stylesheet bound to a doXslTransform call would fall into that same category. Likewise dynamically updated WSDL or XML Schema that is used by a BPEL process definition. Such changes should be regarded as process version changes.

Ok, so now on to how we make the passing of parameters via the function call better.  I don’t like the naming convention approach (param1, param2, …).  What if instead we alternated the name and the value like so:

doXslTransform('urn:sheets:foo.xsl', $PO, 'Item', $Response.detail.item[1],

                                          'Price', 10,

                                          'Qty', 3)

So the definition would be:

doXslTransform( uri, source [, paramQName, param]*)

I like this variant. In particular, I like the flexibility in introduces, since parameter values can be determined by XPath expressions, including, as you illustrated, literal values. That has a lot to commend itself in terms of usability. And it doesn't complicate dependency analysis. (Should the param names be literals, or could they be string expressions?)

What do others think of this variant? Too cool for words? :-)

-Ron

This allows you to pass many parameters and makes it trivial if you are only trying to transform the source which probably represents most of the use cases.

- Chris