Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 229 - Proposal for vote

Hi Chris,

Thank you again for sending the proposal out.

I am for general direction of this proposal.

"Explicit invocation of compensation for such a scope nested within S effectively removes the scope from the default-order compensation, but the remainder of the compensation order is preserved. If a <compensate/> is used prior to a <compensate scope="Sx"/> the latter is treated as a no-op"

Technically, what your text describe is consistent with my understanding and preference.

However the wording of "effectively removes" make me worry this text gives people an impression that the default-order compensation is mutable upon <compensate scope="Sx" />. In fact, we have no mechanism to change the default-order.

Thinking out loud here ... how about:

I guess it will have less room of misunderstanding.
What do you think?

Chris Keller wrote:

Issue 229

Proposal Summary: Allow <compensate/> after <compensate scope="Sx"/> and emphasize that user defined fault and compensation handlers must explicitly call compensate for child scope compensation to occur.

Changes to current specification

Section 13.3.3

"...Note that the <compensate/> activity in a fault or compensation handler attached to scope S causes the default-order invocation of compensation handlers for completed scopes directly nested within S. The use of this activity can be mixed with any other user-specified behavior except the explicit invocation of <compensate scope="Sx"/> for scope Sx nested directly within S. Explicit invocation of compensation for such a scope nested within S disables the availability of default-order compensation, as expected."

Change to:

"...Note that the <compensate/> activity in a fault or compensation handler attached to scope S causes the default-order invocation of compensation handlers for completed scopes directly nested within S. The use of this activity can be mixed with any other user-specified behavior including the explicit invocation of <compensate scope="Sx"/> for scope Sx nested directly within S. Explicit invocation of compensation for such a scope nested within S effectively removes the scope from the default-order compensation, but the remainder of the compensation order is preserved. If a <compensate/> is used prior to a <compensate scope="Sx"/> the latter is treated as a no-op.

The compensate activity MUST be used by user defined fault handlers and compensation handlers for child scope compensation to be called.  If a user defined fault handler or compensation handler does not use the compensate activity child scopes will not be compensated."

Section 14.6

--- Remove this section as it is not applicable per issue 209 resolution ---

Appendix A -

--- Remove repeatedCompensation fault as it is not applicable per issue 209 resolution ---