Subject: RE: [wsbpel] wspbel 4/4/2006: SOAP Binding References in Section 10.3 and 10.4

After thinking about it, I now believe it is better to reduce/avoid
references to specific bindings. That's the duty of the WSDL
specification and the WS-I basic profiles. Anyway, we can talk about
this during the review.

-Alejandro

Section
> 10.3 and 10.4
>
> Alejandro,
> I would suggest we maintain a stance of binding neutrality. As Alex
> often says, 'this is a slippery slope.' I'll bring this up for
> discussion in the Section 10 review.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > guizar: Are you referring to this fragment?
> >
> > [...]outbound messages produced by a BPEL runtime still MUST contain
all
> > the parts[...]
> >
> > The paragraph I wrote is intended to complement Dieter's original
> > proposal. He added a clarification to the paragraph in section 8.1
> > which explains bpel:unitializedVariable.
> >
> > An attempt during process execution to read a variable or, in the
case
> > of a message type variable, a part of a variable before it is
> > initialized MUST result in the standard bpel:uninitializedVariable
> > fault. This includes the invoke and reply activity, where the
presence
> > of an uninitialized part also results in the standard fault
> > bpel:uninitializedVariable.
> >
> > Note that the SOAP binding allows for specifying the actual
placement
> > of WSDL message parts within a SOAP envelope. Whereas this feature
> > makes it possible to leave one or more WSDL parts out of the SOAP
> > envelope, outbound messages produced by a BPEL runtime are still
> > required to contain all the parts defined by the WSDL message. The
> > motivation for this requirement is preserving the binding-agnostic
> > nature of a BPEL process.
> >
> > The general requirement is, in fact, provided in the first
paragraph.
> > The second paragraph provides insight on a potential issue with the
> > SOAP binding and informs readers why the issue is disregarded. I
> > changed the wording so that the requirement keyword MUST does not
> > appear in the second paragraph.
> >
> > I am not concerned with the format of these notes, be it preceding
> > them with the words "Implementer's note", wrapping them in a box or
> > just relegating them as text as Monica suggests - I care about them
> > being present in the spec.
> >
> > -Alejandro

SOAP
> > binding's ability to select only the relevant parts of a message.
> >
> > Implementer's note: The soapbind:header and soapbind:body elements
allow
> > for specifying the actual placement of WSDL message parts within a
SOAP
> > envelope. Whereas this feature makes it possible to leave one or
more
> > WSDL parts out of the SOAP envelope, outbound messages produced by a
> > BPEL runtime still MUST contain all the parts defined by the WSDL
> > message. The reason behind this restriction is preserving the
> > binding-agnostic nature of a BPEL process.
> >
> > These notes do not seem to hurt; they provide insight to the
enlightened
> > reader and may be safely skipped by the casual reader.
> >
> > Finally, at this point we probably do not want to invest time
scanning
> > the specification for spots to insert new notes into. I propose we
keep
> > the existing note and reference, add the new note above and
introduce
> > new notes only when the opportunity presents itself.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Alejandro

Section

http://www.choreology.com/external/WS_BPEL_issues_list.html#Issue170