Subject: RES: RES: [wsbpel] new issue: do we want to remove normative wordings in chapter 16 "Security Consideration"?

Agreed. We should, however, avoid any normative statements, which precludes the use of "SHOULD" (or even "should", in the spirit of reducing any confusion as to what is normative). Using "may" or even "can" would be preferable.

________________________________

De: Dieter Koenig1 [mailto:dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com]
Enviada: qui 1/6/2006 06:32
Para: Charlton Barreto
Cc: Alex Yiu; Diane Jordan; Peter Furniss; wsbpeltc

+1  ...  use "may" (or "SHOULD"?), but not "MUST".

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             "Charlton
             Barreto"
             <barreto@adobe.co                                          To
             m>                        Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                                       "Alex Yiu" <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
             01.06.2006 15:11                                           cc
                                       "Alex Yiu" <alex.yiu@oracle.com>,
                                       "Diane Jordan" <drj@us.ibm.com>,
                                       "Peter Furniss"
                                       <peter.furniss@erebor.co.uk>,
                                       "wsbpeltc"
                                       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RES: [wsbpel] new issue: do we want
                                       to remove normative wordings in
                                       chapter 16 "Security
                                       Consideration"?

Pursuant to this, I would propose the following:

1) Change "RECOMMENDED" in the first sentence of Chapter 16 to
"recommended"
2) Reword the third sentence of Chapter 16 to read, "When using
WS-Security, signatures may include semantically significant headers and
the message body, as well as any other relevant data, so that they cannot
be independently separated and reused."
3) Change the second sentence of the second paragraph to read, "Messages
may include a message timestamp. such as that described in WS-Security,
within the signature."

-Charlton.

________________________________

For business processes, it is strongly recommended to secure their partner
interactions.

Other than that, security considerations in general and WS-Security in
particular are orthogonal and out of scope of the WS-BPEL specification, so
there cannot be a MUST statement.

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49)
7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49)
7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49)
7032-201464  Germany

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Diane Jordan <drj@us.ibm.com>,
             31.05.2006 18:06          Peter Furniss
                                       <peter.furniss@erebor.co.uk>
                                                                        cc
                                       wsbpeltc
                                       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>, Alex
                                       Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsbpel] new issue: do we want to
                                       remove normative wordings in
                                       chapter 16 "Security
                                       Consideration"?

New issue: do we want to remove normative wordings in chapter 16
"Security Consideration"?
-----------------------------------
There are 3 occurrences of RFC normative wordings in conjunction with
WS-Security in chapter 16 "Security Consideration".  e.g. "RECOMMENDED"
and "SHOULD".

Do we want to remove those normative wordings?

This decision would have implication to how and whether WS-Security is
added in references section.

Submitter Proposal:
I tend to think those wordings and references to WS-Security should be
non-normative. Because, WS-Security usage is orthogonal and optional to
the main concern of WS-BPEL.

OASIS
at: