Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.1 - Proposal for Vote

My preference is [B]:
 - WSDL extensions are separated from the WS-BPEL language
 - The service-ref element is not part of any language
(compatibility considerations do not apply as the namespace changes anyway
in WS-BPEL 2.0).

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
             28.06.2006 00:05                                           cc
                                       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Alex
                                       Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.1 -
                                       Proposal for Vote

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for being flexible on this "GED-vs-LED" issue.

Even though  I still think that GED design pattern is very much preferred
over LED and GED will be used as much as possible similar to the Schema for
WSDL 2.0 and Normative Schema for XML Schema 1.0, ...  I totally agree with
you that that we should take this "GED-vs-LED" issue out of resolution text
.

Given that I would suggest some further clarification/amendments to the
proposal:

For (1) and (2):
-----------------------------
(1) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of Executable Processes
(2) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of Abstract Processes Base

Note:
      If some XSD definition and declaration can be used between in (1) and
      (2), it will be factored into a "core" XSD file.
      (2) is defined for the A.P. Base. There may be additional XSD for
      profiles.
-----------------------------

Then, the next point that that I would like to mention is: IMHO, we should
maintain a relation between one target namespace, one XML Schema (or one
set of XML Schema files connected by <xsd:include>). Because, the way that
we did it in BPEL 1.1 is a bad practice of schema and I have not seen
similar patterns in the other specs. As I mentioned, BPEL 1.1 way to split
one namespace into multiple *disconnected* schema documents, similar to
having one package of Java classes archived into multiple jar files.

If people agree with that I say so far, there are two ways for us to
maintain this cleaner relationship between namespace and schema.

Decision points: whether we want to keep "property", "propertyAlias",
"service-ref" in the same namespace of the Exec BPEL.

If yes, [A] I would suggest to declare those 3 elements into XSD of (1) as
well.

If no, [B] I would suggest:
      To have one namespace in "property" and "propertyAlias", e.g.
      ".../wsbpel/property.xsd"
      To have one namespace in "property" and "propertyAlias", e.g.
      ".../wsbpel/service-ref"
      Then, we have two more XSD files.

I don't have a strong preference between [A] and [B]. They are both OK to
me as long as we don't need to spilt the XSD of the same namespace into
multiple disconnected pieces.

Further thoughts?

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
      Alex, minimizing the number of GEDs is preferable, however, we
      believe that
      it is more important to get to a resolution at this point in time.

      Kind Regards
      DK

       Dieter König                                Mail:
      dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

       Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49)
      7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

       Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49)
      7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

       Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49)
      7032-201464  Germany

                   Alex Yiu

                   <alex.yiu@oracle.

                   com>
                                             Dieter
      Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                   26.06.2006 21:39
      cc
                                             wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org,
      Alex
                                             Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>

      Subject
                                             Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 294.1 -

                                             Proposal for Vote

      Question:
      Your proposal does not mention the GED-vs-LED decision issue. Did you
      make
      it silent intentionally?  Or, your team may still have a preference?

      Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
            Hi Alex, can you elaborate which part is not clear from your
      point of
            view?

            Kind Regards
            DK

             Dieter König                                Mail:
            dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung
      GmbH

             Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office):
      (+49)
            7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

             Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office):
      (+49)
            7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

             Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office):
      (+49)
            7032-201464  Germany

                         Alex Yiu

                         <alex.yiu@oracle.

                         com>
                                                   Dieter
            Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                         23.06.2006 21:52
            cc

      wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org,
            Alex
                                                   Yiu
      <alex.yiu@oracle.com>

            Subject
                                                   Re: [wsbpel] Issue -
      294.1 -

                                                   Proposal for Vote

            Hi Dieter and others,

            Part of this proposal is not that clear about its intent.

            Upon receiving clarification, I may need to make some amendment
      or
            submit a brand new proposal.

            Dieter Koenig1 wrote:

                  Based on the issue 294.2 resolution proposal, we propose
      that
                  the WS-BPEL
                  XML Schema artifacts are restructured as follows:

                  Submitter's proposal:

                  Refactor the WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema artifacts into the
                  following:

                  (a) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of
      Executable
                  Processes
                  (b) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for validation of Abstract
                  Processes
                  (c) One WS-BPEL 2.0 WSDL extension XML schema for
      validation of
                  Properties
                  and Property Aliases - same target namespace as (a)
                  (d) One WS-BPEL 2.0 XML schema for Service Reference
      variable
                  declarations
                  in Executable or Abstract Processes - same target
      namespace as
                  (a)

                  Note: the target namespace values for (a) and (b) are
      valid
                  URLs that can
                  point to the location of the two artifacts, respectively.