Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 291 - Proposal for vote

The whole area of security is far too broad and deep for us to give it a proper treatment in three paragraphs. It seems absurd to recommend (or RECOMMEND) WS-Security, when it:
a) isn't applicable to most binding types
b) isn't sufficient to address the general topic of security
c) has no connection at all with WS-BPEL 2.0.
If WS-BPEL had some sort of security model, and it had some sort of connection to WS-Security, then I could see including it as a recommendation. Is there such a model and connection, and I missed them somehow?

The way chapter 16 currently reads, it sounds like we (the TC) are providing a strong endorsement of WS-Security. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the reader of chapter 16 took away an impression that WS-Security will address all security concerns except denial-of-service attacks. For this reason, I was quite happy with Alex's "softening" of the wording in chapter 16, using "suggested" in place of "recommended".

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
I'm not saying we should force everyone to use WS-Security.  That's not what "strongly RECOMMENDED" or "SHOULD" mean.  To be clear, I am advocating, and have always advocated that we leave the wording as is.

Prasad Yendluri wrote:
Danny,

It seems you are actually -1'ng Alex's original proposal and not my amendment as you are calling for using the RFC / uppercase wording. I am not convinced that we should force everyone to use WS-Security to use BPEL (I think that would be result).  However that is the status quo. So is your position then to keep the current RFC language in that section ?

Regards,
Prasad

Danny van der Rijn wrote:
-1.  We need to use RFC language, uppercase.

Prasad Yendluri wrote:
Hi Alex,

If we are including lower case "should" in the text of this section anyway, I don't see an issue with use of lower case recommended, like  "it is recommended" or  "it is highly recommended". "strongly suggested"  seems like an oxymoron to me :)

Section 2 of the spec (Notational Conventions), clearly shows the normative keywords to be upper case (and referes to RFC2119). If needed, we could add a sentence to state that 'only upper case form of these keywords are normative' in that section.  Going out of way to change lower case recommended to suggested is an overkill IMO.

Best regards,
Prasad