Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 289 - draft text to describe the relationship XMLSchema and Spec

Hi Alex,

in the second paragraph, maybe we can add a reference to the static
analysis table? In the appendix for the static analysis table, there's a
reference to the schema appendix, too.

For the first paragraph, regarding extensibility, there are forward
references in the spec to the schemas regarding the details, see chapter
5.3:

"WS-BPEL supports extensibility by allowing namespace-qualified attributes
to appear on any WS-BPEL element and by allowing elements from other
namespaces to appear within WS-BPEL defined elements. This is allowed in
the XML Schema specifications for WS-BPEL."

Means, the schema is more specific regarding the modeled extension points
than the spec. One example is: Where in the sequence is the extension
element allowed to occur? The spec is silent about that, the schemas are
clarifying that. Additionally there's the blockDefault="#all". Maybe we can
say something like "Regarding extensibility the schemas are more detailed
than the spec. In this case the schemas will take precedence over the
spec."?

Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

       Thomas Schulze

             Alex Yiu
             <alex.yiu@oracle.
                                       Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
             09.08.2006 19:04                                           cc
                                       wsbpeltc
                                       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>,
                                       Martin Chapman
                                       <martin.chapman@oracle.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 289 - draft
                                       text to describe the relationship
                                       XML Schema and Spec

Hi all,

Here is an updated proposed text (with more input from Martin)
---------------------
Where there is disagreement between the separate XML schema files, the
XML schemas in the appendices, any pseudo-schema in the descriptive
text, and the normative descriptive text, the normative descriptive text
will take precedence over the separate XML Schema files. The separate
XML Schema files take precedence over any pseudo-schema and over any XML
schema included in the appendices.

XML Schemas only enforce a subset of constraints described in the
normative descriptive text. Hence, a WS-BPEL artifact, such as a process
definition, can be valid according to the XML Schemas only but not valid
according to the normative descriptive text.