Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue R16: Proposal For Vote

The point that that sentence is trying to make is that a fault handler that is handling a missingReply, no matter how it handles it, "clears" the "orphaned state" of the IMA.  So, for example, it shouldn't throw a missingReply just because the reply is still missing.

Rewordings welcome, but I'd like to keep something there for the above reason.  Unless you think that the sentence before makes it clear enough.  I'm not sure it really does.

Mark Ford wrote:

My only suggestion would be to drop the last sentence. I don’t think it’s required since there is nothing special about a bpel:missingReply fault that would cause it to propagate beyond its fault handler any more than any other fault. Having this sentence there makes it seem like there is something special about the propagation of this fault.

Text would read as follows:

If a fault handler has completed without any unhandled fault then a check for orphaned IMA's MUST be made. If any orphaned IMA is detected then a new bpel:missingReply is thrown to the parent scope (similar to throwing or rethrowing other faults from a fault handler). The newly thrown bpel:missingReply fault MUST encompass all orphaned IMA's, and they are no longer considered orphaned.

From: Danny van der Rijn [mailto:dannyv@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:30 PM
To: wsbpeltc
Subject: [wsbpel] Issue R16: Proposal For Vote

To summarize an answer Mark's questions

What fault is the 3rd sentence referring to?

"the new fault" should read "a new fault" or "no new fault"

If it MUST NOT be generated and thrown, then what is the point of the 4th sentence?

The 4th sentence is a continuation of the 2nd.  I've moved them together in this proposal.

2 possible rewordings for the bullet:

1)

If a fault handler has completed without any unhandled fault then a check for orphaned IMA's MUST be made. If any orphaned IMA is detected then a new bpel:missingReply is thrown to the parent scope (similar to throwing or rethrowing other faults from a fault handler). The newly thrown bpel:missingReply fault MUST encompass all orphaned IMA's, and they are no longer considered orphaned.  However, if the fault handler is handling a bpel:missingReply fault and no new IMA's were created and left open by the fault handler, a new bpel:missingReply fault MUST NOT be generated or thrown.

2)
If a fault handler has completed without any unhandled fault then a check for orphaned IMA's MUST be made. If any orphaned IMA is detected then a new bpel:missingReply is thrown to the parent scope (similar to throwing or rethrowing other faults from a fault handler). The newly thrown bpel:missingReply fault MUST encompass all orphaned IMA's, and they are no longer considered orphaned.
However, if the fault handler is handling a bpel:missingReply fault and no new IMA's were created and left open by the fault handler, a bpel:missingReply fault MUST NOT be thrown, rethrown, or generated.

Issue R16: confusing description of Message Exchange Handling